Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Liz Watches: Supernatural Season 6, Episode 1: Exile on Main Street (SPOILER BLOG)

Okay, so... Season six. Here we are. I think in a lot of ways, this almost feels like a spinoff, or a sequel. Supernatural Part 2: What Happened After They Stopped The Apocalypse. Something like that. The last episode of Season 5 just feels like such a definitive END that anything after it feels... unconnected, somehow. Does that make sense?

If I’m being totally honest here, I barely remember anything about first part of Season 6. Okay, well, that’s a lie. Obviously, I remember Soulless!Sam. I remember Sam Campbell, and Gwen, and some other random family members who die. I remember the ‘fight the fairies’ episode, and I know there are a couple skinwalker episodes (like Bobby John! Episode 2, I believe). So yeah. Then once The French Mistake hits, there’s all that stuff about Fate and Eve and Castiel’s Sudden But Inevitable Betrayal BLAH BLAH BLAH I HATE EVERYTHING LET’S NOT TALK ABOUT IT UNTIL WE HAVE TO, OKAY?

Also, I know there’s a whole lot of shit about Ben and Lisa. Lisa gets over him but Ben doesn’t? Dean is a vampire? I don’t know. I honestly wasn’t paying attention until Episode 15, which is when I caught up to the series. The Man Who Would Be King was the very first episode I actually watched on the night it aired. Weird, huh?

ANYWAY I HAVEN’T EVEN STARTED WATCHING THIS EPISODE YET. But I don’t really want to. Because Lisa.

I honestly just don’t know about her. I completely understand why Dean wants to be with her. But why does she want to be with him? She’s met him twice, then talked to him for five minutes towards the end of Season 5. She’s so willing to just welcome him into her house, let him be a father to her child, etc. when in reality, he’s a dangerous alcoholic ex-angel-vessel and he CAN’T ACTUALLY HAVE AN APPLE PIE LIFE. AUGH I just have so many conflicting feelings when it comes to this. I do think Dean loved her in a certain way, but I just don’t see how she could love him. She barely knows him, and right now he’s broken. How can she truly love a man who doesn’t love himself?

Ugh. Lisa. I have many feelings about her and only a couple of them are good.

AND BEN. HE USED TO BE AN ADORABLE LITTLE KID WHO WAS EXACTLY LIKE DEAN AND NOW HE’S A SASSY PRETEEN. DO NOT APPROVE.

OH MY GOD I JUST THOUGHT OF THIS! Castiel has already made the deal with Crowley at this point! That makes me very upset. I don’t really blame Castiel or Dean for what happened, especially after watching Swan Song so recently. After seeing what Dean went through, and how angry he was, if I was Castiel, I would NEVER have involved him. And Cas tells us directly: he didn’t leave Dean out because he was being selfish or power-hungry. He did it to protect Dean, and keep him in a life they both thought Dean wanted. The only thing I think Castiel did wrong was keep it a secret for so long. The only thing I can really blame Dean for is making Cas feel like he couldn’t ask for help. When Dean calls him family in ‘The Man Who Would Be King’, Cas shouldn’t look that surprised. Dean should have let him know a long time ago that he loved him, because then Cas would have felt like he could tell Dean what was going on, and then this whole mess wouldn’t have happened.

ALSO. Cas must have been really, really confused, because he pulled Sam out of the pit and then Sam just walked away. If I was Cas, I would have been like, “Crazy Winchesters. I don’t even know about you guys anymore.”

I’ve already written like, two pages, and the episode hasn’t even started yet. Ugh. Season 6.

I just don’t know about Domestic!Dean. It’s cute to watch him have a nice little routine with Ben and Lisa. At the same time, I’m like WHERE’S YOUR CAR WHERE’S YOUR JACKET UGH GO HUNT SOMETHING for goodness’ sake.

I don’t give a shit what Lisa says, BEN IS DEAN’S SON. HE LOOKS JUST LIKE HIM UGH.

I hate Dean’s new jacket. And that goddamn truck.

I guess in a way, we did need Season 6. Because I would not have believed that Dean could go completely and totally domestic and just live happily ever after with Lisa. He’d always be looking over his shoulder for demons and angels. He’d always be hiding guns in his car. This is his equivalent of Sam at Stanford, and the message is the same: you can’t get out of this life. It’s forever. You’re stuck in it. I’m actually positive that this situation has happened before; Dean gets really paranoid that there’s something Supernatural around and hunts it and then it turns out to be nothing.

It’s weird seeing Dean have friends.

I love how Dean reacts to that little yappy dog. Looks like someone retained something from ‘Yellow Fever’...

Sid: Dean! Is that a gun?
Dean: No! Yeah. Well... I got a permit for it.
Sid: What, to shoot the Glickman’s dog?
Dean: I thought that was a possum. Remember when I said I was in pest control. Possums carry rabies,so...
Sid: I did not know that!
Dean: Oh yeah, possums kill, Sid.

BABY. BABY BABY BABY. Don’t hide her under a tarp, Dean! Set her free! She needs to feel the wind on her again!

Lisa: Did you almost shoot a Yorkie?
Dean: Technically.

SEE THIS IS WHY I DON’T BUY THEIR STORY LINE. Lisa’s like, “Oh, ha ha, Dean, you are your guns, don’t shoot the neighborhood pets, dear” when in actuality, she should be horrified that Dean is potentially paranoid and running around with firearms. I know she trusts him, because of that one time she didn’t and it almost cost her Ben, but still. She has to know that Dean isn’t over what happened with Sam and I would honestly be worried that he was cracking up.

Ahh, Soulless!Sam is creepy as SHIT. He is a terrifying monster man. I’M FLAILING OVER HERE.

I can’t believe that when I first watched this, I didn’t immediately realize that something was wrong with Sam. I guess I just thought he was being AngryDemonBlood!Sam, who occasionally forgets that he has feelings and is really sarcastic and snarky. But that hug... it is SOULLESS. Oh, poor Dean.

Woah! Dean guesses Cas! He’s right! Dean, you’re right! It was Cas!

Sam: You finally had what you wanted, Dean.
Dean: I wanted my brother! Alive!

WHY DOES NO ONE UNDERSTAND THAT DEAN IS NOT THE APPLE PIE LIFE MAN UGH

Gross. The Campbells. Do not like or want. Someone on Tumblr calls Sam Campbell ‘Sampa Soup’ and now that’s all I can think of when I see him.

DO NOT LIKE YOU SAMPA. Get out now.

I like that they did the usual ‘zoom on Sam, zoom on Dean’ shot, and normally they would both look super distressed, but in this case, Sam just looks mildly put out.

LISA DON’T WHINE ABOUT DEAN HUGGING YOU.

“If you’re here, something’s wrong.” Oh, Bobby.

Ugh, I cannot believe Bobby knew. I understand why he didn’t tell him, but still. There’s a HUGE difference between “I didn’t want to get you back in the life so I didn’t call you when there was a big hunt I needed help with” and “I didn’t want to get you back in the life so I didn’t call you when your brother came back from the dead.”

Dean: That woman and that kid, I went to them because you asked me to!
Bobby: Good!
Dean: Good for who? I showed up on their doorstep, half out of my head with grief! God knows why they even let me in! I drank too much, I had nightmares! I looked everywhere! I collected hundreds of books trying to find anything to bust you out.
Sam: You promised you would leave it alone.
Dean: Of course I didn’t leave it alone! Sue me!

I feel like I have too much to say about this. I’m not even going to go into it. Except to say that Sam and Dean are ridiculous. They each think that they can convince the other to not go after them when they die, and it’s like ARE YOU STUPID? OF COURSE THEY’RE GOING TO GO AFTER YOU THEY LOVE YOU. It doesn’t matter how many promises are made: there is nothing that can stop Dean from trying to bring Sam back, and vice versa. Examples found in Seasons 1, 2, and 3. 4 and 5 to an extent.

As I look at Dean and Lisa sitting together on the stairs, I just... don’t see them as a couple. They don’t fit to me. I don’t know why. I’ve also seen a lot of people who dislike Lisa because she claims the best year of her life was the one she spent with Dean, but I’ll give her this one. It was the best year of her life because it was the year her son had a father. That’s legit. I’ll give you that, Lisa.

Anytime someone says “Leave it to the professionals” to Dean, I want to SMASH THEIR FACE. Dean Winchester is the best, most badass motherfuckin’ hunter on this planet. Do not talk down to him. Do not diminish his badassery. He will kill you just so he can salt and burn your goddamn bones.

How long was Sam in Hell for? Was it worse because he was in a box with Michael and Lucifer? Because they make it seem like Sam’s memories of Hell could literally rip his brain apart, when all Dean’s memories of Hell gave him was really bad PTSD and a guilt complex.

Yay, ceiling fires. They’re ridiculous even when they’re imaginary.

What Dean says in this final scene makes me wonder why he does what he does at the end of the season. He takes away their memories of evil, and leaves them defenseless.

SOULLESS!SAM OMG HE HAS NO SOUL HE IS SUCH A DICK

Ugh, Season 6. I just don’t know about you sometimes. This blog is three pages of angry ranting.

No comments:

Post a Comment