Total Pageviews

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Liz Watches: Supernatural Season 6, Episode 4: Weekend At Bobby's (SPOILER BLOG)

I just think the concept of this episode is really interesting. We’re so deep into Sam and Dean’s lives... sometimes their supporting characters can seem like devices rather than real people. It’s episodes like this one and “The Man Who Would Be King” that really show us that these characters have lives and problems outside of Dean and Sam’s drama.

THIS is a big reason why I just can’t get on board with Sera Gamble’s “it’s-a-show-about-two-brothers” spiel. Yes, there are two brothers. Yes, they are the protagonists of the show. Yes, the storyline centers around their lives. But are the other characters merely expendable props used only to facilitate the brothers’ journey? No. Bobby is just as real to me as Sam and Dean are.

Mostly this episode reminds me of what douchebags Sam and Dean can be (even when Sam isn’t soulless). They take advantage of the fact that Bobby is always around for them. He’s not just their Hunter Dad, who does their research and fields their calls, etc. He’s everybody’s. And he has a life on top of that.

I really, really, really want to hate Crowley. Like, so badly. He ruins all the things. He tricks Bobby out of his soul and he corrupts my baby. I should want his head on a stick. BUT I DON’T. I LOVE HIM. Ugh. I feel manipulated.

“Balls.” Everybody has a catch phrase.

BOBBY IS SUCH A HERO. Goddamn demons.

That cobbler looks SO DAMN GOOD RIGHT NOW. Marcy is so fucking cute. I love her so much. Don’t get involved with hunters, normal people. It’ll fuck you up. BAD. It skeeves me out that he has this nice, normal conversation with his neighbor and then walks downstairs and torches a demon. MAKES YOU WONDER ABOUT YOUR NEIGHBORS, EH?

LOL FERGUS MCCLOUD. DEAD.

“Oh, good, you’re home! Listen, you gotta help me bury a body!” With friends like these...

Bobby: Yeah, you’re getting slow.
Rufus: Says Mr. Sits-On-His-Ass-All-Day-Taking-Calls.

Don’t EVEN disrespect Bobby right now.

When was Bobby in Japan? I WANT TO KNOW MORE ABOUT HIS LIFE.

Bobby: I’m not asking for your help.
Rufus: I’m not asking for your permission.

Precious. I do love their friendship.

SHERIFF JODI MILLS! I like you.

Bobby: Why’d you send him outside?
Jodi: I didn’t think you’d want him in here.
Bobby: I don’t, I’ve got a body in the basement!

Jodi: My point!
Bobby: Yeah, but I’ve got another body buried in the yard!

LIFE OF A HUNTER. I ADORE.

That poor normal person. WOODCHIPPER. OH MY GOD. VOM. Feel so bad for Bobby. He seriously cannot catch a break.

“Oh, okie-dokie, woodchipper. That pretty much trumps... everything.”

Augh, Dean and Sam are CHILDREN sometimes.

“I’m bearing my soul like a freakin’ girl here, and you’ve got stuff to do. That is... that’s fine. Seriously, though, a little selfish. It’s not all about you.”

Bobby is about to LAY DOWN THE FUCKING LAW. I AM SO HAPPY.

“Sam, Dean... I love you like my own, I do. But sometimes... sometimes, you two are the whiniest, most self-absorbed sons-of-bitches I ever met. I’m selfish? Me? I do everything for you! Everything! You need some lore scrounged up, you need your asses pulled out of the fire, you need to someone to bitch to about each other... you call me, and I come through every damn time! And what do I get for it? Jack with a side of squat! Now look... I know you’ve got issues. God knows I know. But I got a news flash for you: you ain’t the center of the universe! Now it may have slipped your mind that Crowley owns my soul, and the meter is running! And I’ll be damned if I’m gonna sit around and... and be damned! So how about you two sack up and help me for once!”

Such a great speech. None of them are very good at asking for help. But sometimes they shouldn’t have to. With friends, there’s give and take. Bobby should feel like he can ask Sam and Dean for help, but they know Crowley owns his soul. They should be thinking about this.

“End of the day... you’re nothing but ghosts with an ego.” This is a really cool idea.

MOOSE. SOULLESS!MOOSE KNOWS A DEAL IS A DEAL. HOW DID HE SUDDENLY GAIN A CONSCIENCE.

Aw, Dean flew in a plane for Bobby. So sweet. Precious.

“At least I was sober. Some nutjob decided to try something, I was ready. I had a fork.” THIS IS THE BEST IMAGE. Dean sitting wide-eyed in a plane seat, clutching his fork, while Soulless!Sam laughed hysterically.

LOL Dean driving on the wrong side of the road.

BOBBY NEVER GETS HIS COBBLER. PURE TRAGEDY.

Props to Jensen for directing this episode. It’s one of the few good ones in Season 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment