Total Pageviews

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Liz Watches: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 1: Pilot (SPOILER BLOG)

Literally, the only thing I could think when this episode started (after the opening flashback and the monster-intro-sequence) was that Sam and Dean are babies. Seriously. I’ve gotten so used to Sam’s voluptuous Farrah Fawcett hair and Dean’s gravelly man voice that seeing them six years younger was almost like seeing two different people.


About the flashback: I forgot how absolutely terrifying it is. That moment when Mary realizes that the person standing over her child is not her husband is chilling. A lot of elements of this show are less than fantastic, but I will say that the acting is really spot on. Seeing John as such a happy father in the beginning is also really heart-wrenching when you consider what kind of man he becomes later in the series.


It’s also really hard to watch Sam talk about Stanford. I mean, in a few years, he’ll have to watch his brother go to and return from hell, go to and return from hell himself, lose his soul, get it back... he has so much ahead of him and all he can think about right now is his law school interview.


Sarah and I did have a bit of a laugh when Sam and Dean are fussing at each other in the very beginning of the episode. The writing literally sums up their lives in a couple sentences of dialogue... it’s just so trite. The writing of this show is truly horrific sometimes.


As to the actual monster plot line, the hitchhiker trope is very tired. It’s pretty much the first ghost story a lot of people hear: the woman by the side of the road who gets in your car and asks you to take her home. The story branches out into different endings: sometimes the woman kills the driver, sometimes she simply takes a jacket or a scarf which the driver finds the next day on top of a grave. The woman in white twist at least adds some angst to the story, and while I didn’t love the creepy-shadow-children and their completely clichéd dialogue, I can appreciate the thought process behind the Constance’s resistance to “coming home”.


Final thought: I ship Dean/Impala, so when Dean gets all Dean and threatens Sam’s life over the safety of the Impala, I might have squealed internally... just a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment