I love the way this episode opens with the vampire as the victim. We don’t know it yet, but we’re already sympathizing with the “monster”.
The fact that “Back in Black” is basically the Impala theme song makes me heart happy. I was just air-guitar-ing for that entire scene.
I love the glimpses we get in this episode and the last one of this idea of a hunter community. They go to the Roadhouse, they give each other tips, they share news of recent hunter deaths, etc. I also love the idea that John’s death was like, huge news in the hunter world. I honestly believe that John was one of the greatest hunters of all time and that other hunters looked up to him.
Moving on to Gordon, who (obviously) sucks. I can’t even look at him in this episode without remembering how he died. I think he had one of the most violent deaths on the show and just thinking about it is making me gag so I’ll stop talking about it.
This is definitely one of those “who-is-the-real-monster” episodes. We don’t see a lot of that on the show, probably because the writers want the Winchesters to seem like heroes most of the time, but when you add Gordon to the mix it’s a bit more acceptable to start asking questions about who is in the right. Even though the show is called “Supernatural”, when you think about it, the brothers hunt evil things, not supernatural ones. They hunt the things that hurt and kill people that would have otherwise never been brought to justice because the normal world doesn’t believe in them. It’s not about killing whatever is different.
This never happens, but I am so on Sam’s side in this episode. Dean is being terrible. One, I was so pissed at him during the bar scene after they kill the vampire at the mill. He’s so obviously showing off for Gordon, acting like Sam’s bringing them down. I saw Dean’s face right after he killed the vampire; decapitations aren’t fun for anybody and I don’t believe they’re fun for Dean, as much as he tries to play it off. But now he wants to impress Gordon, show him what a big man he is, act like his little brother is embarrassing him, and it makes me so mad. I hate when people act differently because they’re trying to impress someone or whatever, so Dean is not making me happy in this scene (or this episode in general, really).
Also, I completely agree with what Sam says about Dean trying to replace John with Gordon. Sam and Dean are so different, and Dean doesn’t have any friends. I always get the feeling that Sam is really good at meeting new people and making friends, whereas Dean is not, so I can see how Dean would want to spend time with this man who is so similar to him. It doesn’t excuse his god-awful behavior, but it makes it a bit easier to understand.
Dean’s clear discomfort at the end of the episode was so upsetting when you think about what he knows. His father told him that he was going to have to kill his brother, and I’m sure now Dean is wondering whether he’ll have to do so just because Sam is different. Was John one of those hunters who would have looked at Sam, said, “Yes, that’s a monster” and killed him without a second thought? It’s terrifying for Dean. He knows that there is something supernatural about his brother, and now his head is battling his heart. Poor Dean.
Two favorite parts of this episode: 1) When Sam says to Gordon, “Only he gets to call me that.” YOU GO SAM. Also, when Dean runs Gordon’s head into the door. Love it. I’ve said it several times and I’ll say it again: Do not mess with the Winchesters.
No comments:
Post a Comment