Total Pageviews

Friday, May 13, 2011

Liz Watches: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 10: Asylum (SPOILER BLOG)

Sam’s bitchface made several dozen appearances in this episode, and I loved every single one. Oh, the bitchface.

For one thing, any scary movie or TV show that takes place in a mental institution is automatically horrifying. Seriously. I think this episode is also pretty terrible because it’s partly based in truth; psychiatrists would go to ridiculous measures to “cure” their patients, often leaving them less sane than before. Asylum patients were horribly mistreated and their doctors were more prone to cutting them open or torturing them than really understanding what the problem was. I mean, how does it make any sense to electrocute someone to make them more sane?

This episode also sets up the incredible Sam/Dean- Lucifer/Michael relationship. One with a blind devotion to the father, obeying his every wish and command without even seeing his face. Dean’s compliance to follow his father’s orders without question is almost worrisome. Then there is the younger son, the rebel, who acts out in defiance and is sent away from the family because of it. It’s amazing that these themes appear so early in the series and are so important in seasons four and five.

Dean just about broke my heart in the scene when Sam was holding a gun to his face. I know he was bluffing (he knew the gun wasn’t loaded) but you could still see his pain when he realized that his brother wanted him dead. Dean cares so much about Sam, and is still protecting him and saving his life after all these years. Throughout everything, Dean will maintain this older-brother mentality, and this won’t be the last time they fight.

Doesn’t mean I like watching it, though. Never punch each other again!

No comments:

Post a Comment