AHHH. WE’RE HERE. IT’S THIS EPISODE. I feel like this is where everything really begins. The boys have been messing around hunting wendigos and spirits and shit... here be the real meat of the Supernatural storyline. Azazel’s children.
Honestly, I don’t remember everything happening so quickly. We’re only a little over halfway through Season 1 and it’s like SAM’S POWERS ARE HERE.
A couple notes about the first time I watched this episode: 1) I was convinced that Jared Padalecki’s character was actually Dean and I kept mixing them up. Damn you Gilmore Girls. I kept referring to Sam as Dean to my friend and he was like, “You mean Sam?” I’m dumb. 2) This was the first episode where I had to look away when someone died because of how violent and realistic it was. It’s one thing to like, bleed from your eyes or be ganked by a scarecrow... that stuff is supernatural by definition. It’s another thing entirely to be IMPALED BY A WINDOWSILL. That kind of stuff makes me never want to stick my head out of a window again.
I would like to better understand the significance of the two shots in the beginning right after Sam tells Dean they have to leave the motel. There’s a close up of two desk lamps, one lit and one not, then a close up of the headlights on the Impala in the same fasion, one lit and one not. I think this could possibly be foreshadowing the light and dark of Dean and Sam, respectively. In the grand scheme, Dean is supposed to be the light, the Sword of Michael, the angel’s vessel, and Sam is the dark, Lucifer’s meatsuit. I might be reading WAY too far into this, but I just found it interesting.
Augh, the anguish in Sam’s face when he realizes that his mother died the same way Max’s did. I feel like this is the beginning of the end for Sam, in a way. Right now, he can have hope that being “chosen” is a good thing, that he and Max were chosen to help people. In reality, of course, they were chosen to be Azazel’s children and to eventually battle each other for the right to raise hell to Earth. Damn Azazel. You are ruining my bb Sam’s dreams and I hate you.
Part of me feels very warm and happy at the fact that the vision of Dean dying made Sam strong enough to move the cabinet. The other part of me knows that it’s all very innocent now, but this does not lead to good things. I am also very relieved that Sam acknowledges that his dad is not the worst father in the world and that as much as John was manic in his search for Mary’s killer, he never physically hurt them, and its an important distinction. I don’t like John, but he’s not the worst father imaginable.
Final thought: “As long as I’m around, nothing bad’s gonna happen to you.” DEAN IS THE BEST BIG BROTHER EVER.
Erm, hi. Came here via tumblr (this my twitter over there). This is really kinda awkward to just like drop a note randomly. But I just wanted to let you know that I rather enjoy this blog (the both of them) and was actually considering a re-watch of SPN myself this summer. I like the contrast of your spoiler blog and Sarah's first time viewer (poor girl is so not prepared). Just wanted to let you know I am reading, and enjoying this little project. :)
ReplyDelete