Total Pageviews

Monday, May 16, 2011

Sarah Watches: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 12: Faith


Electrocution? Cool. Relatively, I mean. It’s an interesting concept. Usually they go for the more ‘he-man’ approach of shooting or stabbing or burning something. Not so much electrocuting anything.

Nice tasing, Dean. Good aim and stuff. He’s splashing in something. Oh shit. Oh NOOOO Dean’s getting electrocuted. I knew that the splashing was bad. Oh, great. What a way to start an episode!

Ooh, Julie Benz. Excellent. Dexter FTW.

Heart attack?! No! Dean, no. A couple of weeks! NOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I mean, obviously he can’t die, since there are so many seasons. I mean, I guess he can’t die for real. He CAN’T!

“Have you ever watched daytime TV? It’s terrible.” So says the soap opera actor. Nice.

I’m torn between wanting John to show up and not wanting him to show up. Having Daddy there would be nice, but I don’t know if that’s what Dean needs.

Layla. I love Julie Benz. I think she’s brilliant. I hope she’s not bad.

So, a faith healer. I’m not really going to go into what I believe or don’t believe, but I like what Sam says on the matter: “If you know evil’s out there, how can you not believe good’s out there, too?” I believe in miracles. I’ve seen enough to know that anything is possible. But if this faith healer, Roy La Grange, is on this show, it means something is wrong with him or what he does.

Cameras in a tent? Why? Are they that worried about bad stuff happening? Is Roy blind? Oop, yeah, he is. It kind of worries me that Sam seems so into this. He’s like a little puppy. It’s cute, but strange.

What the crap?! Dean collapses and people are clapping and saying it worked? And who’s that apparition?! Woah. I’m trying to see the fakeness in this. But a 27-year-old athletic guy had a heart attack? That doesn’t seem like a coincidence.

“I looked into your heart, and you stood out from all the rest.” Wow. I kind of don’t want this guy to be bad, but something’s wrong.

Every time someone is healed, someone dies. Roy is trading one life for another. Wow. That’s heavy. But Sam’s right. How is he doing it, and how does he decide who gets to be healed?

That apparition? A reaper? Woah. He looks like he just has makeup on and it’s running. And I love that they’re playing ‘Don’t Fear the Reaper’ in the background. What does Tarot have to do with Roy? He’s actually using black magic? That’s insane.

Oh, I don’t want the protestor to die. But I don’t want Layla to die, either. Crap. I hate this episode. That’s a big, fat lie. I LOVE this episode. I hope Sam doesn’t die trying to save the protestor. I don’t think he will, but there’s always a chance. I mean, they’re fighting off a reaper. A guy who deals in death.

OH SHIT! SUE-ANN is controlling the reaper. She’s faking her husband’s abilities?! Why?! I mean, wow. I should have seen this coming. The whole anecdote about Roy telling Sue-Ann not to stop praying for him? Total setup for this moment right here. I feel dumb. Nice job, writers. Nice job.

This is a difficult episode to watch. It’s all about who deserves to live and die. And Sue-Ann tried to make that decision, thinking she was doing the right thing. Binding anything would make it pissed at you, so I guess that’s some sort of perverse justice, that Sue-Ann was killed by the thing she was using on others.

This show makes me think a lot about things. Often it just makes me scared of things that really have no bearing, but in episodes like this, it makes me wonder about the sheer power of people and their convictions, whether right or wrong.

Julie Benz was the perfect choice for Layla’s part. Absolutely perfect. She has this sense of overwhelming calm, and even when she’s upset, you just know she’s okay, deep down. I’m sad that she couldn’t stick around. She would have been good for Dean, and I think he realizes that almost from the off. I realize that my feelings about her sticking around are kind of a double standard because of my feelings on Laurie, the girl who kissed Sam in Hook Man, but I still stand by both of my opinions on those subjects.

Interesting and most thought-provoking episode yet. I approve.

No comments:

Post a Comment