Dean breaks my heart in this episode. He is so good with kids... it’s adorable. He knows what it’s like to be a child who’s seen too much, a child who might never want to talk again but needs to so he can save the people he loves. Now, I can’t see Dean with a kid without thinking of Ben, and consequently Lisa, and I feel very, very sad for Dean. I ship Dean/Cas pretty dam hard (HATE ON ME HATER) but I did love the Dean-Lisa-Ben happy family times. Poor Dean. Poor Dean always.
I have a million other reasons to love this episode, but first and foremost is the subject matter. There are very few things scarier to me than a dark lake, and so the idea of drowning in a sink of black water makes me shiver down to my toes. I also love ghosty revenge and twisty conspiracies, so the path the narrative takes keeps me very engaged. I have noticed that many Supernatural episodes tend to drag a bit too long and I lose interest in the plot line, but this is not one of them.
This episode plays out very much like a murder-mystery, with various clues (the house, the bicycle, etc.) adding up to create a larger picture. I love when information is revealed through the crayon drawings of small children; it’s creepy and effective and pretty awesome. I also love when Sam and Dean get busted by the law. They always manage to wriggle out of it, which is either wildly unrealistic or deeply unsettling. I sincerely hope that the competency of law enforcement in this show (or lack therof) is exaggerated.
All in all, this episode is probably one of my favorites of Season 1. I just love the ending when you’re not sure if Lucas is dead... Supernatural is no Disney movie and as many episodes end sadly as end happily. Two different characters state that losing a child is worse than dying: according to the rule of three, Lucas should die. However, I’n glad that he and Andrea don’t have to follow the pattern and that at least they can have their happy endings.
I love Sam’s line, “We’re not going to save everybody.” If there’s one thing that Sam and Dean need to remember throughout the series, it is this, but they forget it so quickly and they put themselves in danger time and time again to try and save everyone. Is this their greatest strength or their greatest weakness? In this episode, some could argue that Jake deserved to be dragged to the depths of the lake for basically bullying a kid to death. Is it up to Sam and Dean to save him when it might be more fair for him to die? Should Sam and Dean have been trying to remove the monster from the lake instead of letting it run its course? Who is the real monster, the ghost or the murderer?
Did I mention I love how perfect Dean is with kids? Oh, Dean.
Final thoughts: If I was to ever play a Supernatural drinking game, I would suggest taking a shot every time Dean or Sam tells the other to shut up. SHWASTY SO QUICK.
No comments:
Post a Comment