Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Liz Watches: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 15: The Benders (SPOILER BLOG)

Is it just me or is this the creepiest episode ever?

I know Sam and Dean fight some pretty terrifying monsters who do disgusting, violent things to people, but this episode might be the most horrifying in a lot of ways. It’s one thing when a monster kills someone because it’s hungry or a spirit kills for revenge. Even Max in “Nightmare” was a human who killed people because he was abused. It’s another thing entirely for a human to hunt another human for fun.

In Dean’s words, demons I get. People are crazy. Like I’ve said before, most demons know they’re total assholes. They accept it. They do what they do because they are literally the spawn of hell and they’re usually just following orders anyway. They definitely enjoy killing and making deals and calling hell-hounds, etc. but in the end, it’s part of their make up. It’s what they do. Humans have a choice, so when humans make choices like the ones seen in this episode... I don’t know. It’s worse, somehow, than what demons or spirits do.

Dean’s little version of “Sophie’s Choice” made me shudder even though I knew what was going to happen. It reminds me of when we had to do those brainteasing exercises in middle school where you’d get a description of ten people and you’re supposed to save five based on how beneficial they are to the world. It’s a tough choice for Dean, but I think he makes the right one: Sam knows how to fight and could probably hold his own until Dean figured a way out and could help him. Still, Dean should know by now that you don’t make deals with monsters. They never keep their end, or if they do, it’s never the way you think.

Since I am not an “eye-for-an-eye” type of person, I don’t like the fact that the cop shoots the father at the end. I obviously understand why she does it, and I could never say what I would do until I was in a situation like that, but it seems wrong somehow. I guess I shouldn’t talk, because that’s exactly what Sam and Dean are doing: hunting down the demon that killed their mother, but I guess in a lot of ways that’s more for answers and closure than for revenge (in Dean’s case. Sam probably wants revenge for Jess. Poor angry Sam.) I think Sam should listen to what she says about how it isn’t easier once you know the truth. It might help him focus on what really matters about the demon, rather than letting his anger get in the way.

Final thought: People are crazy. Yep. That’s about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment