This is longer than usual because I have a lot of thoughts about this episode.
This review is funny for me to write, because I’m having the very interesting experience of rewatching Season 1 SPN while simultaneously keeping up with the current season. If any of you watched the last episode (6.20 The Man Who Would Be King) you will understand my tumultuous emotions right now. Dean and Sam are just so young in these first couple of seasons.
Obviously, the first thing to mention in this episode is we get our first demon! Well, we get our first “declared” demon; we’ve already seen Azazel, but we don’t technically know he’s a demon yet... I digress. This episode shows us the boys discovering sulfur all over the plane wreckage, splashing holy water all over a demon, and reciting Latin from a book to exorcise it. This was so poignant to me because in present SPN-verse, exorcising demons is like second nature. They could probably do it in their sleep.
Something that definitely comes to light in this episode is Sam’s anger. It’s easy to see how he becomes the person he does in later seasons; you can see that need for vengeance in his face when the demon taunts him about Jess. Obviously, Dean and Sam both have their angry moments (Dean for his mother and Sam for Jess), but Sam always seemed much more bent on revenge for his own sake rather than justice for his mother and girlfriend.
Another thing I liked thinking about in this episode is that right now, the Winchesters are virtually unknown in Hell. They might be known by name as hunters, but Lucifer and the demons have no idea what they’re capable of. I just loved that moment in the new episode when Crowley points out that every demon has underestimated the boys. Right now, Sam and Dean are just popping around the country, doing favors and stumbling upon cases. They have no idea that a time will come when every angel in heaven and every demon in hell will know their name and possibly fear them.
On a lighter note, this episode is a lot of fun besides being important. I find it hilarious that Dean tries to force Sam to open up to him about Jess, but the second things get semi-personal on Dean’s end, he clams up and refuses to participate in what he called “chick-flick moments”. Oh, Dean. You silly man. His fear of flying in this episode was utterly precious. Sam calming him down by pointing out that he was making himself vulnerable for a demon was pretty serious. I really do love Dean, and in these seasons before Cas shows up, I am just trying to soak up all the Jensen/Dean that I can.
Quote of the episode:
Sam: Just try to relax.
Dean: Just try to shut up.
Brotherly love.
No comments:
Post a Comment