Total Pageviews

Monday, May 23, 2011

Liz Watches: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 19: Provenance (SPOILER BLOG)

Note: Love that one of the cars in the auction parking lot has a license plate that says “THE KRIP”. Love you, Kripke, you troll.

This episode makes me terribly sad. You won’t find me sympathizing much with Sam (I get very bitter and angry at him when he goes all darkside) but this episode makes me weep for his poor, lonely heart. He still seems so young, so to have lost so much is heartbreaking. In my rational mind, I know Jared and Jensen are much older than I am, but in SPN-verse, Sam is only a year or so out of undergrad, only a few years older than me, and I think we get a sense in this episode of how much he has seen despite his youth.

Remember all of the vehement, unreasonable hatred I felt towards Cassie in the ‘Route 666’ episode? Well, I feel the complete and total opposite for Sarah. I adore Sarah. I wish her and Sam could be together forever and have happy demon-free lives with a white picket fence and 2.5 children and a dog. Seriously. I ship them so hard. Maybe it’s because there isn’t really anybody else to ship Sam with (Jess was perfect, but she’s obviously gone, and Ruby is TERRIBLE AND EVIL) so when we meet Sarah and she’s just so wonderful... I can’t help but love her. She and Sam nerd-flirting together was one of the cutest things I’ve ever seen.

I felt horrible when Sam told Sarah he thought he was cursed. My first instinct was to think, “No, Sam, bb, it’s okay, you’re not cursed!” But then I thought about it and... yeah, he kind of is, in a way. Azazel has marked him for Apocalyptic disaster, and anybody that he tries to be close to will be taken down for sport or spite. It’s not fair, and I hate Azazel for it, but Sam is smart to stay away from people he knows could get caught in the crossfire. Sarah is smart and capable and definitely able to take care of herself, but demon attacks are not something you can wriggle your way out of. Look at Mary. She was a hunter for a huge portion of her life, but when it came time for Azazel to pin her to the ceiling, she was powerless.

I don’t have much to say about the actual “mystery” of this episode. Blah, blah, vengeful spirit, burn the bones, etc. Just your normal, run-of-the-mill haunting. Definitely creepier that it turned out to be a little girl with the MOST TERRIFYING CACKLE EVER but to me, the bulk of this episode lies with Sam’s inner struggle. It just about broke my heart when he told Sarah he would come back to see her; in a year or so he’ll be exorcising demons with his mind and gulping down demon blood like it’s cranberry juice.

Last thoughts: Dean in this episode made me LOL forever. In all my sadness at Sam’s romantic complications, Dean made me smile so many times with his shenanigans. Oh, Dean Winchester, I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment