This blog is probably just going to be one big John rant, so I’ll get a couple things out of the way first. One, hunters are damn smart. Elkins carved a P.O. box number and combination into his floor as he was being murdered by vampires. It doesn’t get much better than that. And Dean is brilliant for finding it and scratching it out on paper. You keep pretending you’re an idiot, Dean, I know you’re a complete genius.
Two, these vampires are so annoying. I hate that True Blood kind of vampire that’s really attractive and wears skimpy clothes and sexes everybody up all the time. I know we meet a more normal family of vamps later, but the ones in this episode are just dumb. Who wants to be part of a vampire pack where the leader gets to sleep in a bed with his girlfriend and you have to be content to sleep in a hammock without personal space? Doesn’t sound like fun.
Anyway, on to the big man himself, Mr. John Winchester. I have a lot of conflicted feelings about John. He obviously cares for his boys. That is clear. And he obviously misses his wife and wants to avenge her death. When she was murdered, he needed to keep his sons safe, so raising them with the knowledge that evil was out there and teaching them the skills necessary to defend themselves is responsible parenting. However, teaching them to be hunters and sending them out on jobs is not, and it doesn’t matter how broken up you are about the death of your wife: it doesn’t change the fact that you turned your children into monster-killing machines.
I can forgive John a little for being overprotective and not wanting Sam to be alone at college, especially considering that Azazel had demons at Stanford and John had a right to be worried. Still, it doesn’t give him the right to tell Sam never to come back and to treat them like children the way he does now. Sam and Dean are grown up, and they have been fighting supernatural creatures without his help for a while now. He needs to include them in what’s happening.
I guess I just don’t like the way he talks to his kids. He rules them with fear, which I don’t like. And he was mean to Dean for absolutely no reason! What’s with the dig on the Impala? If you hadn’t noticed, John, your sons have been running around the country killing monsters and trying to make sure you weren’t dead. They don’t exactly have a lot of time for auto-checkups.
I can really relate to Dean in this episode. Being caught in the crossfire between your parent and your sibling is a terrible feeling. You don’t know who you should side with, and you try to mediate what’s happening, but most of the time everyone is too upset to listen to reason and things escalate. I’m so proud of Dean in this episode for taking a stand and talking back to his father. I like seeing this side of Dean that isn’t just blind obedience; he’s a smart man and he realizes when his father is wrong. That’s very important.
Final thoughts: THE COLT THE COLT THE COLT THEY HAVE IT!
No comments:
Post a Comment