I couldn’t for the life of me remember what this episode was about, so I was able to appreciate the shock all over again when the woman discovers John’s picture in the basement. It’s the Winchester’s former home! All renovated and refurbished after the fire.
This episode reminds me a lot of the first episode when Sam complains to Dean that their father gave him a .45 when he was nine for the “monsters under his bed”. Dean retorts and says that we should always be afraid of what’s in the dark. (Vashta Nerada? Doctor Who reference? Yes.) Parents are so condescending to their children when they fear the closet or underneath the bed (regular parents, not John, obviously) but maybe there is something to be afraid of. Especially if you live in the Winchester house.
I winced when Jenny said, “I’m sure you have lots of happy memories here.” Think again. Also, judging from the fact that Dean is twenty-six at this time, they didn’t stay there for long after Mary’s death. They must have booked it out of town within a year or so. So the memories they had there were probably happy, there just weren’t too many of them.
Love the mention of crossroad’s dirt. The crossroads come into play so much in later episodes, its interesting to see it mentioned so early. I guess if it was appropriate in any episode, this would be it.
Augh, my heart broke when Sam handed the baby to Sari and told her to take her brother outside and not look back. The exact words spoken by his father to Dean about him. So beautiful and sad. And then when Dean has to save his brother from that house for the second time... it’s so, so sad.
The beginning of Sam’s powers makes me so nervous. He’s so pure of heart right now, so bent on doing the right thing, but his powers make him so twisted in the later seasons. I’m also so mad at John. We don’t know enough of him now to really understand him, but seeing him in later episodes, I don’t approve of so many of his decisions. Nothing was really his fault; everything that happened was done by his wife to save him, but she would have never wanted her children to become hunters and he turned them into her worst nightmare.
My favorite parts of this episode were the emotional moments between the brothers, and of course, Dean’s choked up phone call to his father. The boys are so strong, but when you think about it, they’re terribly young, and they need their dad’s help.
No comments:
Post a Comment