When I first watched this episode, I realized that Supernatural was taking all of the urban legends I have ever feared and making me fear them MORE. I hate the story of the hook man. I also hate the 'Aren't you glad you didn't turn on the light?' story. SO EERIE. So, thank you, SPN, for making me even more afraid of the things that already haunt my nightmares.
I love when Supernatural delves into religion. Although this episode doesn’t have as many moral dilemmas as future ones, it’s still nice to see the hypocritical reverend spirit bent on killing people as some sort of immorality purge. Episodes like this pose circumstances that ask who has the right to punish others? Are Sam and Dean trying to play God to much by finding and killing monsters, or are they superheroes?
Sam made me a little sad in this episode. I like the character of Lori a lot, and I actually think in some sort of alternate universe, she and Sam could have been really happy together. He’s a nice, honest guy who would have been really good for her, and she for him. It’s a shame that 1) he isn’t over Jess yet and couldn’t really be there for her anyway, and 2) the brothers move around too much to really get close to anyone. That police officer was practically begging them to leave town.
I also love moments in the show when we remember that despite the uniqueness of their situation, the Winchesters have brother moments just like normal siblings. When they were crawling into the window of the sorority and telling each other to shut up, I actually laughed out loud.
Final thought: Sometimes when I watch this show, all I want to do is grab a Zeppelin album, buy a Chevy Impala, and drive across the country. Seriously. Preferably with Dean Winchester.
No comments:
Post a Comment