Total Pageviews

Saturday, July 2, 2011

Liz Watches: Supernatural Season 4, Episode 18: The Monster At The End of This Book (SPOILER BLOG)

Oh my god. How can one episode be so important to the plot and yet be SUCH FANSERVICE at the same time? So brilliant.

In other news: CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK CHUCK. I have missed him so. My favorite little deadbeat alcoholic prophet. Chuck, you are my world.

Brief thought on Chuck: I don’t know when this happened, but I feel like it became canon that Chuck is God. I don’t think it was ever stated explicitly in the show (unless I was seriously not paying attention, in which case WOW) but somehow it’s like, common knowledge? I think Misha even mentioned it at a recent con... I don’t know. I guess we’ll see. That would be quite the twist.

This is one of the best setups EVER:

Comic Book Dude: I knew it! You guys are LARPing, aren’t you?
Dean: ‘Scuse me?
Comic Book Dude: You’re fans!
Sam: Fans of what?
Dean: What is larping?
Comic Book Dude: Like you don’t know. Live action role-playing! And pretty hardcore, too!
Dean: I’m sorry. I have no idea what you’re talking about.
Comic Book Dude: You’re asking questions like the building’s haunted. Like those guys, from the books. What are they called...? Supernatural.

This is when my brain went, “Ohhh nooo they didn’t...”

Comic Book Dude: Two guys, use fake IDs with rock aliases, hunt down ghosts, demons, vampires. What are their names? Steve and Dirk? Uh...Sal and Dane?
Sam: Sam and Dean?
Comic Book Dude: That’s it!

I literally lost my mind the first time I watched this. THE FANSERVICE OF THIS EPISODE IS HILARIOUS. And also important. How did they pull that off?

Dean: There are Sam girls and Dean girls and... what’s a slash fan?
Sam: As in... Sam slash Dean. Together.
Dean: Like, together together?
Sam: Yeah.
Dean: They do know we’re brothers, right?
Sam: Doesn’t seem to matter.
Dean: Oh, come on. That’s just sick.

I COULD WATCH THIS SCENE EVER DAY AND NEVER TIRE OF IT. Sorry, Wincesters. Not today. BLESS YOU KRIPKE.

I adore this woman telling Sam and Dean about their lives. This is exactly how I would be if I ever met the Winchesters. I’d be like “DEAN REMEMBER WHEN YOU CRIED” and he would be like, “I’m going to salt and burn your bones.”

“Well, I don’t want any smartass article making fun of my boys.” OH GOD THAT’S HOW I REFER TO THEM. This is so bad.

Oh my god, I love this entire scene with the Winchesters and Chuck. I wish I could quote the whole thing; it is freakin’ hilarious. Oh my god, I’m watching it for the second time. I love this so much. Oh Chuck, you amazing man.

“Well, there’s only one explanation. Obviously, I’m a god... Yeah, no, I’m definitely a god. A cruel, cruel capricious god. The things I put you through... the physical beatings alone. I killed your father. I burned your mother alive. And then you had to go through the whole horrific thing again with Jessica! All for what? All for literary symmetry. I toyed with your lives, your emotions, for entertainment!”

OMG COULD IT BE TRUE? CHUCK IS GOD.

I love that the SPN writers can poke fun at themselves about their bad writing. This is why I love them (although I have my eyes on you, Gamble. You do not have my affections right now).

Chuck: It’s very... Vonnegut?
Dean: Slaughterhouse-Five Vonnegut or Cat’s Cradle Vonnegut?
Sam: What?
Dean: What?

SAM. YOUR BROTHER IS NOT STUPID. GET IT THROUGH YOUR HEAD.

“I can’t see your face, but those are definitely your brooding and pensive shoulders.”

Castiel: This man is to be protected.
Dean: Why?
Castiel: He’s a prophet of the Lord.

LITERALLY THE BEST. I love Chuck.

“It’s an honor to meet you, Chuck. I admire your work.” Translation: Castiel admires Dean’s full frontal sex scenes.

The first time Dean prays, Castiel is the one who answers! That’s got to mean something! ~~~profound bond~~~

“You have tested me, and thrown me every which way, and I have never asked for anything. Not a damn thing! But now I’m asking. I need your help. Please... Screw you. And your mission. And your God. If you don’t help me now, and the time comes and you need me-- don’t bother knocking.”

Castiel. You are perfect in every single way. You are magnificent and wonderful and I adore you with every atom in my body.

ALSO DEAN. REMEMBER THIS MOMENT. HE HELPS YOU. THEREFORE YOU WERE SUPPOSED TO HELP HIM WHEN HE ASKED. Stupid Dean. I blame both of them for what happens to Castiel, but this is where Dean’s blame lies. He asked Castiel, begged him, to help, and Castiel obliged. But when Castiel came to him for help, he said no (this might be because they caught Castiel spying first, so there’s wrong done on both sides).

“She’s not going to survive the Apocalypse. I’ll make sure of that.” SAM YOU’RE GOING TO CAUSE THE APOCALYPSE. AUGH. DON’T KILL HER SAM. DON’T DO IT.

And of course, Zachariah shows up to be a complete dick for two minutes. The usual. I hate him.

No comments:

Post a Comment