Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Liz Watches: Supernatural Season 4, Episode 21: When The Levee Breaks (SPOILER BLOG)

I can’t even imagine how horrible this is for Dean. He just looks and sounds so broken when he’s talking to Sam through the panic room. He’s watched his brother turn into this unrecognizable monster and he didn’t understand why; now he knows and he’s going to do whatever it takes to make sure it doesn’t happen again. And there’s also this sense of failure: Sam may not be dead, but Dean swore to protect his baby brother from everything and he didn’t protect him from this. Over here on Sane Island, we know that it’s because HE WAS IN HELL FOR GOODNESS’ SAKE, but I can see from Dean’s perspective that he sees this as his own fault.

As much as I actually DEPLORE Sam right now, I feel sorry for him. He thought that this was right, that he was somehow helping people, and he didn’t realize that drinking demon blood would turn him into this half-crazed addict with extremely loose morals. But now he feels betrayed by Dean and angry that Dean doesn’t trust him.

By the way, now that we’re on this subject: this bit with Sam is the reason I have hope for Castiel’s character come Season 7. It’s basically the exact same story... they both thought that they were doing the right thing, saving people, but the way they went about it was wrong and ended up destroying the true essence of themselves. It takes Dean a little while to trust Sam again (understandably) but he does, and I truly hope that he extends the same courtesy to Castiel, who he has said a few times is like a member of his family, like a brother. However, double standards are definitely a thing in this show, so I could completely picture Dean forgiving Sam anything and being less lenient to Castiel. I have hope! I have hope!

“You just bought yourself a benchwarmer seat to the Apocalypse.” For some reason this line is funny to me. So not a funny situation. LOLed anyway. Sorry.

I love that Sam’s like, “THIS IS NOT A DRUG INTERVENTION’ and he is clearly going through withdrawal symptoms. You crazy little drug addict.

I hate that they can hear him detoxing. It’s so painful for everyone involved.

BABY SAM. Colin Ford is like my favorite person on this planet. Sam’s subconscious can go in circles all day long about whether or not it was right to go back to hunting, whether it was Sam’s fault or fate that they got back into it.

Sam’s subconscious taking on the form of his mother offering her approval is SICK. He never knew her; he doesn’t actually know how she would respond to this situation. Yes, she was a hunter, but she also hated it and wanted out. Sam doesn’t know that. His mother would never have said these things to him, but since he doesn’t actually know her reaction, his mind has decided to use her as a stamp of approval. That’s just so bad. UGH. I hate it. Sam’s subconscious is a sick place right now.

“Get to the reason you really called me. It’s about Sam, right?” My shipper goggles are on, but that sounds so bitter. It’s like he thinks that Dean doesn’t care about him getting punished. I guess at this point, (to Cas, at least) it looks like Sam is the only person that Dean cares about.

The sad thing about Cas right now is that he so obviously cares for Dean already and wants to be his friend, but he’s afraid of Heaven’s punishment. He just looks so sad whenever he has to tell Dean something bad, or Dean calls him a dick, etc. Sad puppy eyes. And look at that long romantic shot at the end of this scene! Like, who wrote this? Who edited this episode? Somebody ships Destiel HARD.

Dean’s automatic response to ANYTHING right now is yelling.

OH GOD. When Dean stares down at Sam having a fit, there is so much pain and grief and guilt in his eyes. It breaks my heart.

I am definitely on Dean’s side of the “are-we-doing-the-right-thing” argument. You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain. Demon blood is not the answer to stopping the Apocalypse.

CASTIEL WHY YOU GOTTA BE LIKE THAT. YOU STUPID ASSBUTT.

Is it bad that I don’t feel sorry for Anna for getting pulled back to Heaven even though I’m supposed to? I just dislike her so much.

“I thought you were on call for angel duty.” This line makes me laugh. I have no idea why. Maybe it’s the idea of Dean being on call for anybody. Or that angel duty is like... a job. I don’t know, I just think it’s funny.

DO. NOT. PUT THIS ON DEAN. DEMONBLOOD!SAM LITERALLY MAKES ME WANT TO PUNCH PEOPLE. AND I AM NOT A VIOLENT PERSON BY NATURE. And I hate you, too, Ruby, even though you’re acting all nice and considerate now.

Ugh, that means that the first soul Lucifer tempted into sin was a little girl. That’s weird. And now that little girl eats babies. Also weird.

The way this scene between Sam and Dean is being shot is so strange. It’s like the camera is under their chins. They both look big and distorted. It’s strange, like they’re being viewed through funhouse mirrors. Clearly representative of how fucked up things have become.

“Stop bossing me around, Dean! Look. My whole life-- you take the wheel. You call the shots. And I trust you, because you’re my brother. Now, I’m asking you, for once, trust me!” Let’s play the comparison game, shall we? This is what Cas says to Dean in “Let It Bleed”: “I thought you said that we were like family. Well I think that too. Shouldn't trust run both ways? [...] All I ask is this one thing... stand behind me, the one time I ask.” SUCH PARALLELISM. I want it.

I actually gasped out loud when Sam punched Dean. I am feeling physical pain just watching this fight scene between them. SAM STOP CHOKING HIM OH LORD.

“You walk out that door, don’t you ever come back.” Now is not the right time to channel John Winchester, Dean. Side note: Jensen Ackles for all the awards. He is so fantastic. Why doesn’t he get more work? This makes me mad.

It’s funny how little actually happens in this episode. It’s all just one big setup to the finale.

No comments:

Post a Comment