Total Pageviews

Monday, July 4, 2011

Liz Watches: Supernatural Season 4, Episode 22: Lucifer Rising (SPOILER BLOG)

I am a bad fan: Episode 1 of this season is called Lazarus Rising and Episode 22 is Lucifer Rising. Never made the connection. What what what am I doing.

Brief note before I begin watching this episode: I just got extreme nervous for some reason. I am not prepared for the shitstorm of angst and emotion that is Season 5. I know there are some light episodes, but most of it is DARK. And this time around, I am far more emotionally invested than I was the last time. Maybe I’m just remembering it wrong, but all I recall of Season 5 is the feeling of being punched repeatedly in the face (with the obvious exception of Changing Channels, which is the best thing ever). So... yeah. Not ready to leave the beauty and magic of Season 4 behind.

CARRY ON MY WAYWARD SON AHHH ALL THE CREYS. Maybe I’ll liveblog this. Yeah. I don’t think I can be coherent for this.

How can demons just prance into churches so easily? Does hallowed ground mean nothing? The racist truck was certainly affected by it.

I’m not exactly pleased with Sam’s martyr attitude (“Dean’s better off as far away from me as possible I’m a monster cry cry cry”) but it certainly beats the asshole Sam we were subjected to in the previous episode. Martyrdom versus telling Dean he’s weak and that he doesn’t know him... martyrdom wins out this time.

Bobby: I know you’re pissed, and I’m not making apologies for what he’s done, but he’s your--
Dean: Blood? He’s my blood? Is that what you’re gonna say?
Bobby: He’s your brother. And he’s drowning.
Dean: Bobby, I tried to help him, I did. And look what happened.
Bobby: So try again.

This little bit of dialogue really got to me for some reason. Maybe it’s because I understand what it feels like to have somebody give up on you, and as much as I hate Sam right now, I don’t want Dean to give up. I want him to fight for his brother.

“You stupid, stupid son of a bitch! Well boo hoo, I am so sorry your feelings are hurt, princess! Are you under the impression that family is supposed to make you feel good?Bake you an apple pie, maybe? They’re supposed to make you miserable, that’s why they’re family! [...] You sound like a whiny brat. No, you sound like your dad. And let me tell you something: your dad was a coward... He’d rather push Sam away than reach out to him. Well, that don’t strike me as brave. You are a better man than your daddy ever was. So, you do us both a favor. Don’t ever be him.”

THIS SPEECH FOR ALL THE AWARDS EVER.

Oh, dear God, it’s this scene. This scene makes me have so many goddamn feelings. Shipper goggles are going on: be prepared.

“Well, how about this? The suite life of Zach and Cas.” DEAN DID YOU SERIOUSLY JUST MAKE THAT REFERENCE HOW DO YOU EVEN KNOW ABOUT THE DISNEY CHANNEL.

“You think sarcasm’s appropriate, do you? Considering you started all this?” Well, geez, he didn’t exactly start it on purpose, you dick. God, I hate you, Zachariah.

At least Castiel has the good grace to look ashamed when Dean glares at him.

‘Hey it’s me. Uh. Look, I’ll just get right to it. I’m still pissed, and I owe you a serious beat-down, but... I shouldn’t have said what I said. I’m not Dad. We’re brothers, you know, we’re family. And no matter how bad it gets, that doesn’t change. Sammy, I’m sorry.” YAY DEAN YOU ARE SO SWEET.

OH MY GOD I AM SO DUMB. I COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT THIS PLOT DEVELOPMENT. WAS I ASLEEP THE FIRST TIME OR WHAT. UGH.

HAHA actually laughing out loud at Dean’s guilty face after he breaks the angel. On a serious note, I find that little act to be very symbolic of how willing Dean is to “break” things that other people might find holy.

Dean: I need something.
Castiel: Anything you wish.

(This reminds me of The Princess Bride. Cas says ‘anything you wish’ and I hear ‘I love you.)

THIS SCENE WITH DEAN AND CASTIEL. I KNOW IT’S SUPPOSED TO BE SERIOUS BUT I FIND IT COMPLETELY ADORABLE AND SHIPPY.

Dean: Five minutes, that’s all I need.
Castiel: ... No.
Dean: What do you mean ‘no’? Are you saying that I’m trapped here?
Castiel: You can go wherever you want.
Dean: Super, I want to go see Sam.
Castiel: Except there.
Dean: I want to take a walk.
Castiel: Fine, I’ll go with you.
Dean: Alone.
Castiel: No.

Their banter is absolutely precious.

UGH RUBY. I’VE BEEN IGNORING YOU BECAUSE I WAS FOCUSING ON OTHER THINGS BUT DEAR GOD I HATE YOU SO MUCH.

This image of Zachariah reflected in all the mirrors is gorgeous. It’s so representative of the manipulative nature of angels and all their different faces. Also, mirrors reflect what the truth, or at least what we’re expected to believe is truth. Angels are perceived as righteous, but what is this? I love when Supernatural has these brilliant moments (Kripke wrote and directed this episode... it explains everything).

I didn’t realize how many awesome things happened in this episode, how many realizations there were. The whole ‘special children’ thing, the fact that angels want the Apocalypse to happen, the fact that Lillith dying is the last seal, Ruby’s betrayal...

Oh, god, he’s talking about Michael. I am so not ready for the Michael revelation.

So much angel imagery in this episode. There are angel statues EVERYWHERE.

Dean: Why are you here, Cas?
Castiel: We’ve been through much together, you and I. I just wanted to say... I’m sorry it ended like this.

I WANT TO WATCH DEAN REACT TO THAT PUNCH OVER AND OVER. So cute.

Oh, Castiel, you naive baby angel. It has only just begun between the two of you.

Oh my god, this scene together. I just watched it like, eight times in a row. I don’t even know where to begin. Castiel has looked inside of Dean and seen pain and guilt. As much as he’s acting like God’s little soldier right now, he is actually doing this for Dean. He believes that in Paradise, Dean won’t hurt anymore. I think Dean gets that, too. He’s not going to be sweet about it, but he gets this look on his face when Cas says this, like he finally understands.

Here’s where I’m having a problem with Dean: he asks so much of Castiel. He asks for good reason, but he always asks like its the first time, instead of the second or third. He asks like Castiel has never listened to or helped him in the past, which he has (several times). Castiel looks so upset when Dean grabs his shoulder. Like Dean is causing him physical pain by asking yet another thing of him. But I will give it to Dean, here: he’s right. And Castiel knows it.

“If there was anything worth dying for... this is it.” Words to live by.

“You spineless, soulless son of a bitch. What do you care about dying? You’re already dead. We’re done.”

I COULD SING A MILLION SONGS ABOUT THIS MOMENT. CASTIEL’S LIP QUIVERS. DEAN HAS MADE AN ANGEL CRY. The way he says ‘Dean’ in that broken voice, like he’s not sure what he’s feeling, and why it hurts so much to hear Dean say these words. But this is the beginning of his fall from Grace.

Dean and Cas can communicate so well with just their eyes. THEY DON’T EVEN NEED WORDS THEY ARE SO IN LOVE.

Is it just me or does Castiel already sound different? It’s like he’s trying to yell for the first time but he doesn’t quite know how.

CHUCK IS BACK. BABY I LOVE YOU.

I love the way Dean looks at Castiel when he says, “We’re making it up as we go.” He looks shocked, like he didn’t understand up to this point just how lost the angel was, and how he was really going off the beaten angel path to help him.

So, what is Lillith’s plan at this point? Has she resigned herself to her fate? There was a point where she didn’t want Lucifer risen because she knew she would have to die for it to happen. But I guess now she’s cool with sacrificing herself so her demon friends can get their Apocalypse on. Doesn’t Sam see that’s way too easy?

GODDAMN YOU RUBY YOU EVIL BITCH.

This slow-motion scene is amazing. With the heart beating and Ruby screaming and you can just hear Dean’s classic, “SAM! SAMMY!”

OH GOD NO SAM HAS BLACK DEMON EYES EVERYTHING HURTS.

And here it comes: the big fucking revelation. I hate you, Ruby, I hate your stupid, stupid demon face and your stupid demon thoughts and your stupid demon blood. Your stupid corruptive demon blood. Like, what is her deal? Does she love him or what? I don’t even know what to think about Ruby anymore. Most demons know they’re total assholes with no morals, but she doesn’t seem to get it. She’s like... happy for Sam. Like she did him a favor or something. I don’t know. Ugh, I hate her.

The episode ends so suddenly. You don’t even know what happened to Cas or Chuck, and you don’t get any WBA, just a measly “I”m sorry”. At least they kill Ruby together... that’s important. Families that kill demons together stay together.

No comments:

Post a Comment