Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Liz Watches: Supernatural Season 1, Episode 19: Folsom Prison Blues (SPOILER BLOG)

Victor is back and we’re battling law enforcement yet again! I love it.

I read this horrifying piece of fanfiction recently that actually gave me nightmares. It was written from the point of view of Amelia Novak, and it basically detailed Jimmy’s abandonment and how the three men were caught and sent to a mental institution for delusions. Basically, by the end of the story, it turns out that the Winchesters and Jimmy were actually insane, and they had killed a bunch of people who they thought were demons, but were actually just regular people. Now, whenever I see an episode of SPN that deals with law enforcement, especially one with Victor in it, that’s all I can think about. From Victor’s point of view, the Winchesters are dangerous lunatics with bloodlust. It’s scary. If I saw this on the news, I would want them locked up for the rest of their lives. The world has no idea what Sam and Dean and other hunters do for them. To the rest of humanity, to Victor Hendrickson, the Winchesters are the real monsters. And that’s a very scary thought.

Dean, how is it that you are wearing a gross orange jumpsuit and you still look FINE? You cannot be a real person. I don’t believe it.

Winchester Banter is the best kind of banter:

Sam: You’re sure it’s him?
Dean: Pretty sure.
Sam: Dean, considering our circumstances, I’m going to need a little bit better than ‘pretty sure’.
Dean: Really pretty sure.

I love that Dean wants cigarettes just to have them. That card game scene is so characterizing of his personality and how no matter where they are, Dean wants to have the control. He’s by no means a power hungry control freak, but he definitely likes to be the big man on campus (compensating, perhaps?). It reminds me of how when they would go from high school to high school, Dean would maintain his reputation has womanizing bad boy, even if he was really scared or self-conscious.

I also love that Dean apologized to the man he baited. He didn’t have to, but he did anyway and that means a lot. Have I mentioned that I love Dean? I don’t think I have.

Here’s the part where I call bullshit on this episode: If I was Victor Hendrickson and I caught the Winchesters (or was somehow involved at all in their incarceration) the first thing I would do would be to SEND THEM TO DIFFERENT JAILS. I mean, come on! Haven’t they figured out by now that together Sam and Dean are unstoppable? Separate them and you might have a chance! There’s no way Victor is that stupid. He’s a good cop. He would have enough sense to do that.

God bless people who believe in Sam and Dean Winchester. You’re few and far between, but you’re just as important as they are.

No comments:

Post a Comment