Note: I wrote this blog while half asleep. Please excuse the random trains of thought and silliness.
This is the episode that should be called “Children Shouldn’t Play With Dead Things”. Just sayin’, Kripke. Clearly you should hire me.
I loved this episode purely for the fact that I knew the twist when it started, so I could yell at the screen like, “She doesn’t exist! She doesn’t exist! That bitch is imaginary and she is killing people!” Yes, I really do these things.
Plot-wise, I like this episode. I feel like there’s a “twist” in most episodes: Dean and Sam think it’s one thing so they salt and burn the bones and then that doesn’t work and they’re like, “FUCK” and then they almost die and then they gank the thing and all is well. But this twist felt more, well... twisty than others (yes, I am a writing and literature major). The whole “you thought this person was real but then you realize that no one actually speaks directly to her and then you’re like woah” is very cinematic. It’s sort of a “Sixth Sense” moment when the mother’s like, “I only have one daughter” and you’re like, “Shiiiiiiiiiit.”
I’m going to take the opportunity of another implied Wincest moment to comment on Dean’s sexuality. Obviously, everyone has a different opinion on this subject, but my feelings are that Dean overcompensates a little bit too much. Methinks the lady doth protest too much about how he is absolutely not gay. He protest-eth A LOT. I will have more to say on this subject once we get to Castiel, but right now, my opinion is that Dean is bisexual and currently uncomfortable with any sort of homosexual feelings he might have. He’s awfully self-conscious about his masculinity. I have friends who are currently in the closet and THAT is how they act. Not a joke.
Drunk Sam is equal parts hilarious and sad. I watched this moment about ten times:
Sam: You’re bossy.
Dean: What?
Sam: You’re bossy. And short.
That’s funny. I cackled out loud several times. And then I got sad. Because Sammy was begging Dean to kill him. I can’t deal with that. Sam is still so... YOUNG. That’s really the only word for it. He’s not innocent and he’s not naive, but he’s young. When Dean puts him to bed, the way he moves his body into a more comfortable position reminds me of how kids move. And can I just say that Dean is the sweetest big brother? I’m not condoning lying to your family, but I find it so endearing that Dean wants to give Sam everything but will not give him this. This is the one thing Sam asks of him and it’s the one thing he’ll never do. In conclusion, Drunk Sam is heartbreaking and Sober Dean Who Takes Care of Baby Brother is precious.
Final thoughts: Dean messing with Hungover Sam might be even better. I love my boys.
No comments:
Post a Comment