Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Liz Watches: Supernatural Season 2, Episode 8: Crossroad Blues (SPOILER BLOG)

I remember the first time I watched this episode, I couldn’t get through it. I had to stop and restart it like, eight times. I was just so bored. I find it ironic now because crossroad demons have become so important to the Winchester’s journey, but for some reason when we are first introduced to them, I just couldn’t care less.

This sort of has to do with my last blog and how I love when the Winchesters get in trouble with the police, but there’s something vaguely thrilling about Dean being wanted by the FBI and such. IRL, I’m not into bad boys at all, but I do find myself very attracted to Dean in his infamy (Dean is super nerdy sometimes, too, so my attraction to him isn’t completely strange). I love the brotherly competitiveness when Sam realizes that he isn’t in the database at all. It’s all about Dean (ALL DAY ERRDAY).

It’s kind of funny that we’re already about halfway through Season 2 and the boys still haven’t fought that many demons. They exorcised that one on the airplane, and then obviously dealt with Meg and Azazel and their friends, but other than that, there haven’t been that many episodes so far dealing exclusively with demons. I also can’t believe it takes this long for one of them to be possessed by a demon. Why doesn’t Azazel just send one of his kids into Sam or Dean? Maybe I’m just forgetting something crucial. I’m so wrapped up in the drama of the most recent seasons, sometimes I completely forget what happens in the earlier ones (hence the rewatch).

Dean, your hypocrisy is showing (AGAIN). All of that “what’s dead should stay dead” crap that he preaches and completely forgets about once it’s Sam’s death we’re talking about, and now he’s admonishing Evan for making a deal to save his wife’s life. He gives this interesting little speech:

“I think you did it for yourself. So you wouldn’t have to live without her. But guess what? She’s going to have to live without you now. What if she knew how much it cost? What if she knew it cost your soul? How do you think she’d feel?”

It’s so interesting that he feels this way now. Obviously, it's in the wake of John’s death and he’s feeling bitter that his father died to save him, but in literally less than a year, Dean will be doing the exact same thing to save Sam. Actually, it’s worse than what Evan did, because he only gets one year instead of ten. One year to somehow make Sam feel okay about the fact that his brother is going to leave him. Dean feels so much guilt right now; I can’t believe he’d be willing to pass that guilt onto Sam. BUT HE DOES. Ugh. Dean, I will always love you, but right now you are making me mad.

Little note: the boys are such good actors. I think we’ve seen them totally play someone a couple times now with their brilliant acting skills, but the way Dean lures the crossroads demon into the devil’s trap was Oscar-worthy. I mean, who can blame her? That sad little pout would tug Lucifer’s heartstrings... that demon didn’t know who she was messing with. I do think he was considering taking the deal, but he also wants to save lives. Also, I’m sure he’s really mad at his father right now, but his obedience to John probably won out in this situation. John died to save Dean, and Dean knows his father wouldn’t have made this decision unless it was the one he really thought was right. John would be PISSED if Dean brought him back to life by demonic means.

Final thoughts: Don’t mind me, just hyperventilating at the manly way Dean kicked down that door. Be still, my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment