Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Liz Watches: Supernatural Season 2, Episode 21: All Hell Breaks Loose, Pt.1 (SPOILER BLOG)

Things That Make Me Laugh in this Episode of Horror: “Bring me some pie! Love me some pie.”

I don’t know why, but my thoughts on this episode are wildly incoherent. I was going to liveblog it, but my liveblogging consists of a bunch of keysmashes and a LOT of caps lock screaming at various characters, so that’s not much better. I guess I’m just going to make a list of all the things that happen.

Obviously, LOTS of things happen. Sam gets Sam-napped and deposited in what I like to refer to as “Captain Apocalypse Boot Camp”. Andy dies. Ash dies. Ava goes darkside and then dies. SAM FUCKING DIES. Shit gets real extremely fast.

By the by, if I had guessed at the beginning who the, as she puts it, “undefeated heavyweight champ” was, I would NOT have guessed Ava. She was just so adorable. You can trust anybody these days, even the most chipmunk-cheeked of the bunch.

Jake is a pretty cool character. He’s just pushed to do bad things. He’s a smart guy, but he’s a soldier. Not saying you can’t trust soldiers, but he’s a warrior first and foremost, and he’s going to do what it takes to defeat the enemy and win.

Andy was clearly the best among them. He could have never made it to the end, though. He wasn’t a killer. He was a really good guy.

I also didn’t realize that Ash died this quickly. He was gone by Season 3. Wow.

The only real foreshadow-y reveal we get is that Mary knew Azazel before the night he killed her. That’s one of my favorite Supernatural twists: that Mary was a hunter and had to make a deal to save John. Sam and Dean don’t know just how involved they are in this world, but deals and shit have been going down in their family since Dean was barely a fetus.

Of course, the final scene had me welling up. Dean is the best big brother in the entire world. The way he talks to Sam, trying to comfort him, reassure him that everything is going to be okay... augh. I can’t handle it. There was such a beautiful moment before Jake stabbed him, where it looked like everything was going to be sunshine and happiness for ONCE and then... you know what? I’m just going to write out the speech because there’s nothing I can say about it that doesn’t involve flailing and keysmashes.

“Hey, come here, let me look at you. Hey, look at me. It’s not even that bad. It’s not even that bad, all right? Sammy? SAM! Hey, listen to me, we’re going to patch you up, okay? You’re gonna be as good as new. Huh? I’m gonna take care of you. I’m gonna take care of you, I got you. That’s my job, right? Watch out for my pain in the ass little brother? Sam? Sam! Sam! SAMMY!”

Like... what can I even say? There are so many ways that this could have been corny and stupid and campy, but it’s really not. It’s earnest and real and I feel like I’m really watching someone lose their brother. I know I’ve said before that I empathize a lot with Dean because I have a younger brother, and the emotions I see written across Dean’s face are just perfect. I’ve never been in a situation like that, but I have been in a position where my brother was in danger, and there is nothing like it.

Basically, shit is real. Jensen Ackles is a boss. Dean Winchester is the love of my life. BRING ON THE SEASON TWO FINALE.

No comments:

Post a Comment