Total Pageviews

Monday, June 27, 2011

Liz Watches: Supernatural Season 4, Episode 13: After School Special (SPOILER BLOG)

Oh my god. I love this episode. I LOVE THIS EPISODE. And I’m not even going to lie, it’s because of Dean in short shorts and Small!Sam flashbacks. That’s it.

This recap is all the more poignant when we consider that Mary would have been horrified by it all. She understood the hunting lifestyle, understood the thrill of hunting but also the need to get out. She didn’t want this life for her boys and I think it would have killed her to see the way John treated Dean and Sam. It’s odd: he treated them so differently, but the outcome was the same. He gave Dean an obvious inferiority complex and told Sam that if he was going to go to college, he might as well stay there. It seems like Dean was the one who tried to be the most like John, but Sam was the one who ended up being most like him.

Anyway. High school is truly a lovely place. I miss it every day. I wish I could go back. Sarcasm.

Colin Ford and Brock Kelly are perfect humans. They are the best. Colin is the perfect baby Sam and Brock looks JUST LIKE Jensen.

FUCK YEAH BROCK YOU ARE SO HOT UNF YEAH. Also I can say this and it’s not creepy because he’s totally twenty-five IRL.

The fact that, at one point in their lives, Sam was shorter than Dean makes me laugh. And he has to be like fourteen at this point, right? High school was good to Sammy.

“Got your lunch? Books? Butterfly knife?” HE LITERALLY SOUNDS JUST LIKE JENSEN HERE LIKE HOW DID THEY FIND THIS KID HE’S PERFECT.

It makes me sad that Dean never had any friends growing up. Sam is really friendly and personable and people like him, but the only connections Dean made growing up were with girls he hooked up with. I think this is why I love Castiel so much-- he’s kind of like Dean’s first friend. Which is adorable.

“You wanna take his place, midget?” ONE DAY SAM WINCHESTER WILL BE TWELVE FEET TALL. DO NOT MESS WITH HIM HE WILL SHANK YOU AND SALT AND BURN YOUR BONES.

Hello, Dean in knee high socks and short red shorts. I am completely okay with this. (By the way, anyone catch the lesbian gym teacher reference? She’s in Massachusetts getting married? Good one, Kripke.) Dean would’ve been a fantastic gym teacher. He mans that whistle like a boss. “The whistle makes me their God.”

Dean Winchester = Sue Sylvester. The best.

There’s something really weird about Dean’s face after he makes the cheerleader joke. It’s like he wanted Sam to laugh or agree with him or something, and when Sam didn’t, he gets let down. It makes me think that this whole manslut thing he has going on is a complete act, and that he thinks this is how men are supposed to talk about and treat women. I don’t know if I’m just reading so, so far into what’s happening on screen, but by the nature of film, every shot is deliberate and included for a reason, and I can’t imagine they would include Dean’s face falling like that if there wasn’t a legitimate reason for it.

They’re so little for being three years away from college! I underestimate how much growth takes place between the ages of fourteen and seventeen. It’s an crazy time.

Oh, Jesus. If I had been in high school with Dean, I would have either been completely and utterly in love with him, or I would have thought he was the biggest douchebag on the planet. Maybe even a combination of both.

It makes me so mad that poor baby Sammy really thought he could get out of the hunting life and be normal when all this time he was just lying in wait for Lucifer. UGH. JUST LET SAM BE, YOU DICK ANGEL.

“Dude, she wants me to meet her parents. I don’t do parents.” It’s cool, Dean, just date Castiel. He doesn’t even know where God is, so no worries.

I LOVE SAM JUST WANTING TO TELL THE TRUTH IN HIS PAPER.

Mr. Wyatt: Do you want to go into the family business, Sam?
Sam: No one’s ever asked me that before.
Mr. Wyatt: Well?
Sam: More than anything, no.

AUGH ALL THE PAIN. I WANT TO CRY.

My question is, how did Sam maintain his grades when they were changing schools every few weeks? That’s got to be tough.

I love that whatever it is that threatens Sam, be it human or monster, Dean threatens to rip its lungs out. Just precious.

BADASS BABY SAMMY. I LOVE HIM. He’s like “BITCH I FOUGHT A GODDAMN WEREWOLF LAST MONTH. YOU’RE EASY PICKINGS.”

Sad thing: it’s only when Dirk starts calling him a freak that Sam fights back. He fights back because for the first time, Dirk’s said something Sam thinks might be true.

Bullying is such a complex thing. It’s a very hot topic right now, what with all the bullying-induced suicides, and it’s easy for bullies to get completely demonized because of the atrocities they commit. I’m not excusing bullies from their actions, but most of the time, bullies become bullies because they’re in trouble. They’re being bullied by someone else, or they’re angry because they’ve lost someone, or they’re jealous or scared or upset. It’s a cycle that only ends when someone gets help.

Sam’s voice breaks when he says, “I’m not evil.” It’s just like when he was little and Dirk called him a freak. He needs to know that it’s not true. He needs to convince himself that he’s not a freak and that he’s not evil.

SAM GIVING THE IT GETS BETTER SPEECH~~~ This should have been included in the ‘It Gets Better’ campaign. Dear Bullied Kids, I know you’re sad now, but it gets better. Also, if you kill yourself, you might come back as a vengeful spirit and the Winchesters will have to salt and burn your bones. Sounds pretty convincing to me.

“You spend so much time trying to convince people that you’re cool, but it’s just an act. We both know that you’re just a sad, lonely little kid. And I feel sorry for you, Dean.”

AUGH. So sad, but so true.

The scene at the end where Sam talks to Mr. Wyatt breaks my heart every time. Because this isn’t just a matter of becoming a mechanic... it’s so much bigger than that. Getting out of this business is dangerous not only for Sam, but for the people he loves. And it might not always make him happy. So what’s more important? Duty or happiness? It’s a question that I don’t think gets answered, not for Sam anyway. Dean manages to make it work because he loves hunting, but for Sam, it’s different. Ugh, I’m actually giving myself an ulcer thinking about this. GACK.

No comments:

Post a Comment