Okay, this blog is going to be one big rant on Lisa and Ben. With a little bit of Ruby rant thrown in. So, just... be prepared.
I don’t like Lisa. I REALLY don’t like her. I don’t even know if I can explain why. She’s just so... perfect. I think I said it before when I was talking about Jo, and how much I love the flaws that make her human. Lisa is just too damn perfect. She has perfect teeth and a perfect body and a perfect tan and when she’s standing in the doorway talking to Dean, her hair is fucking BLOWING IN THE WIND like she’s Pocahontas or some shit. I just can’t deal with it. If I honestly believed that she made Dean happy, then I would probably overlook her annoying perfection. But she doesn’t. His life with her was woefully incomplete. He didn’t love her enough. And she didn’t love him enough either. She has this very real, very complicated relationship with him that ends very poorly, and not even a season later, she’s happily domestic with someone else. Really, Lisa? Really? I don’t know. I’ve just never liked her. She frustrates me. When Dean said her name for the first time, I made a Sammy bitchface at the screen: not joking.
And then there’s Ben. Before the episode started, I had forgotten that Ben was this little when Dean first met him. I could only picture Big Kid Ben, who I was feeling some resentment for because he can get a little sassy sometimes. Before the penultimate episode of season six, the last time we see him is when he tells Dean that he’s walking out on his family. That shit is cruel. So I was feeling a little anti-Ben when this episode started.
That all changed when I saw how adorable and perfect he was. He likes AC/DC and cake and girls and he’s so precious in his jacket that looks just like Dean’s. He’s a really awesome kid. And he’s very heroic, too: once Dean gets him out of the cage, he springs to action helping those kids out. He’s very smart for a kid his age. Also, this quote:
Dean: Do you want me to-
Ben: No! Don’t go over there! Only bitches send a grown-up.
Dean: You’re not wrong.
Ben: And I’m not a bitch.
There’s a part of me that still thinks he’s Dean’s son. I know Lisa has said time and time again that he’s not, but I can’t help but feel it. There was that weird moment in season six when the demon was like, “He is your son! But he’s not! I just said that to mess with you!” and everyone was like, “Huh? Wait, what?” Demons say whatever the fuck they want, true or not, if they think it’ll mess with your head. So which one was the truth and which was the lie? I like to believe that Ben is Dean’s son, mostly because I want Dean to have fathered a child, to keep the Winchester bloodline alive.
So, yeah. I’m not surprised it doesn’t work out for Dean and Lisa. I wish he could have stayed for Ben, because I love their father-son dynamic, even when things go to shit. But Dean’s life is totally fucked, and I just don’t think normalcy is in the cards for him.
I think Dean/Lisa was supposed to be our fandom OTP, and I’m sure some people out there ship them, but Kripke totally underestimated the fangirl adoration of homoerotic tension. Sorry, dude, but you put a couple guys on the show eye-fucking each other, and it doesn’t matter if Dean swears up and down that Lisa is the love of his life, it isn’t going to matter. I just don’t see their chemistry (Castiel on the other hand... well, we’ll get there).
Now for a short Ruby rant: I totally ship Sam with Blonde!Ruby. I hate her so much because I know what her real intentions are, but it doesn’t stop me loving her right now. She’s just so sassy and awesome, and she and Sam have AMAZING chemistry. And she’s FUNNY:
Sam: Why are you following me?
Ruby: Because I’m interested in you.
Sam: Why?
Ruby: Because you’re tall.
Bless your demon heart, Ruby. I want to hate her so badly! But I can’t! Come on, Liz. You know this. She’s evil. She’s evil. She’s evil.
IT DOESN’T MATTER. I LOVE YOU BLONDE!RUBY. I’ll hate you once you come back in your new vessel. It’s easier to hate the Ruby that actual betrays Sam. Even if they are the same demon... whatever. I can’t help my feelings.
No comments:
Post a Comment