For some reason, I have like, nothing to say about this episode. I just don't. I don't know if I wasn't focusing enough while watching it or because it's so damn confusing the entire time, but I just... can't think of anything to say.
I did like a few things: for instance, I love that they incorporated history again. The lost colony of Roanoke is one of those creepy unexplained historical mysteries, and I find conspiracy theories very fascinating. Croatoan is very close to being an anagram of Roanoke (the 'c' and the 'k' make the same sound), which I think is really cool. I also like that Supernatural tried to give us a reason for the history. I am now completely convinced that a demon virus killed everyone in Roanoke.
From an outsider's perspective (an outsider being anyone who is not Sam and Dean), I think this illness is very scary because it seems oddly realistic. It's like modern day zombie movies that are less about reanimated corpses and more about people developing brain illnesses that make them go crazy. That sort of thing could actually happen. And the people infected by the virus weren't foaming at the mouth and screaming; they were clever and sneaky. Very, very terrifying.
I guess what makes me so apathetic about this episode is that I feel like nothing happens. I mean, well, obviously shit happens: a lot of people die, Dean has a freaking mental breakdown, and we see another one of Azazel's bitchy offspring. Still... this episode ends with everyone kind of going, "... WHAT?" Like, there are more questions than answers. Nothing seems resolved. The Winchesters don't solve anything, and then they just leave. It's very confusing and unpleasant.
Speaking of Dean's mental breakdowns: all the tears in the world, AMIRITE. I don't know why I'm so obsessed with Dean's character, considering he's like, the biggest hypocrite this side of the Mississippi (or whatever side he's on). He's all for killing people until it's Sam, and then NOBODY IS KILLING ANYBODY. Okay, Dean, your blatant favoritism for your brother isn't surprising, but that doesn't mean it's not irritating. Whatever. He just looks so sad. I can't help but want to pull him in my arms and snuggle him. He has been given a huge burden to bear. I'm not surprised that he's tired. I think if I was in his situation, I would feel like giving up, too. That may be extremely morbid, but it's true. Sometimes you just get sick of it all, and then your brother gets a demon disease and it seems like a good way to go. But you can't go yet, Dean. You have a whole lot of work still ahead of you. The world needs you.
I don't know when this blog turned into me writing Dean an encouraging love letter, but there you go. Croatoan: creepy, realistic, confusing... moving on.
No comments:
Post a Comment