Yeah, Baltimore! That’s where I was born. Stay on the East Coast, boys!
I don’t know what it is about the boys getting in trouble with law enforcement, but I LOVE IT. I’m more worried for Sam and Dean when they’re sitting in an interrogation room than I am when they’re trapped by some spirit or demon. Maybe because their lives are so backwards that dealing with regular people is where they’re really out of their element.
Another reason I love when the police get involved is that I am a big fan of storylines in which authority figures get proven wrong. I just think it’s hilarious when all those big, bad police officers are strutting around the precinct, thinking they’ve got the Winchesters all tied up, and then they walk into the interrogation room and Sam’s just gone. I’ve also said before that I love when people doubt Sam and Dean and then get proven wrong. It’s extremely satisfying, and a bit cathartic; it’s almost a justification of the life they live. If they can save this woman, even though she’s basically called Dean a bad person and tried to get Sam to betray him, then they’re doing the right thing and living their lives the right way.
The brotherly dynamic in this episode is beautiful. We can see very clearly how the boys work off each other, each utilizing the other’s strengths. We also get to see how their brains work in exactly the same way when trying to figure out the “dana shulps” anagram. Also, quick note, I love how Dean explains anagrams: “same letters, different words”. So simple. So Dean. Back to the brothers: I just love all their little plans, like how to find each other if they get separated. We never see them solidifying or confirming these plans; they just exist. They’re rules of the Winchester Life.
This is a short blog, because I don’t have a whole lot to say about the monster story line, except for that I like twists and this was a nice one. I like spirits who hunger for justice rather than revenge. I hope that if I ever get violently murdered and become a spirit, I become protective rather than angry.
Final note: Dean’s movie references FTW. Two “The Shining” refs in this episode alone, and then of course “The Exorcist” at the end. Dean, I love you (I wonder how many blogs I’ve ended this way).
No comments:
Post a Comment