Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Liz Watches: Supernatural Season 3, Episode 12: Jus in Bello (SPOILER BLOG)

More background: ‘jus in bello’ means ‘laws of war’. Supernatural writers, this is when I love you.

Jus in Bello makes me feel like my heart is being ripped out through my mouth.

Bela, you bitch. Not only did you steal the Colt for the purpose of using it against your own crossroads demon (you selfish woman!) but you also landed the boys back with Victor. Not that I don’t LOVE VICTOR WITH ALL MY HEART. I seriously love him so much, it’s insane. And it’s because of this episode.

Despite my love for Victor, it is hard to hear him talk about my boys this way:

“You’ve never been to a rodeo like this before. Do you have any idea who we’re about to bring in here? The most dangerous criminals you’ve ever laid your eyeballs on. Think Hannibal Lector and his halfway little brother. Do you know what these guys do for kicks? Dig up graves and mutilate corpses. They’re not just killers, Sheriff: they’re Satan-worshipping nut-bag killers.”

STOP IT, VICTOR. You could not be more wrong. But you’ll learn. By the end of this episode, you’ll know the truth.

It’s awful, because if I were in Nancy’s position, I would be absolutely terrified of Dean. He’s so unapologetic and arrogant; if you know him well, you realize it’s a defense mechanism, but if I had just met him and all I’d heard about him was that he was a Satan-worshipping serial killer, I would totally believe it. In a second. Sociopaths and psychopaths can be very, very deceptive, and they can be extremely charismatic when they need to be. That’s why Sam and Dean are so scary to see from Victor and Nancy’s perspective. And that’s really awful to me. I can see how other people see Dean and Sam, and it’s horrible. They’re heroes and they’ll never be recognized for it. In fact, they’ll be hunted down and fought against every step of the way. It sucks. Augh. Just thinking about it is making me sad.

The fear on both their faces when Victor says they’ll never see each other again just smarts with codependency. Their reliance on each other is almost dangerous. It’s why Sam loses it when Dean goes to Hell. Neither of them know how to live without the other.

I love that Victor is sitting there during the demon attack thinking, “How can they be doing this? How are the Winchesters doing this? How is this happening? What is happening? Have I been wrong? How can I have been wrong?” This is why I love Victor. He’s a good man. He wants to do the right thing. He just doesn’t get it.

Dean: Why don’t you let us out of here so we can save your asses?
Victor: From what? You gonna say demons? Don’t you dare say demons.

“It’s like we’ve got a contract on us. Do you think it’s because we’re so awesome? I think it’s because we’re so awesome.” LOVE YOU, DEAN.

You see, Victor? Do you finally understand now that you’ve had a fucking demon inside of you? DO YOU UNDERSTAND YOUR MISTAKES NOW?

Aha! First appearance of the tattoos! Again, why haven’t they had those since Day 1? The world may never know.

I’m so sad for Victor: “My job is boring. It’s frustrating. You work three years for one break, and then maybe you can save a few people... maybe. That’s the payoff. I been busting my ass for fifteen years to nail a handful of guys, and all this while, there was something off in the corner so big... so, yeah. Sign me up for that big frosty mug of waste-of-my-damn-life.”

Ruby. Please stop being so likable when I know I’m going to have to hate you in like ten seconds. Please. It hurts too much.

Lillith just has it out for the Winchesters, doesn’t she? Not only does she own Dean’s soul, she wants Sam’s. Bitch is greedy.

I love that the idea of virginity is literally beyond Dean’s comprehension.

The end of this episode is literally the most upsetting thing I’ve ever seen. Everybody lives. Victor realizes that he was wrong and “kills” the Winchesters. Nancy is excited about having sex. Everything is awesome. EXCEPT THEN FUCKING LILLITH LEVELS THE POLICE STATION AND EVERYTHING IS HORRIBLE. Thanks, Kripke. Thanks a lot for the pain and the heartbreak.

NOTHING WILL EVER BE OKAY AGAIN.

No comments:

Post a Comment