This is the episode where it’s not a ghost, right? It’s a person. I’m almost completely sure of this.
I like the title of this episode because the word 'remains' can be a noun or a verb, so this can be read as 'the remains of a family' or something like 'after everything else happens, family remains'. I think that's a very nice sentiment for this episode and for the show as a whole.
The thing that really freaks me out about this episode is that it happens to completely normal, everyday people. This family didn’t do anything to deserve getting terrorized. They’re not people who have angered a vengeful spirit, they’re not hunters haunted by past victims, they haven’t messed with the supernatural in any way. They’re just folks. It’s these kinds of things that make me afraid to do normal things like move into a new house because THERE MIGHT BE SOMETHING EVIL THERE.
UGH. The “humans can lick, too” story gives me legitimate nightmares. I do not like it.
WHY DOES THE DOG ALWAYS DIE. I hate.
“What kind of ghost messes with a man’s wheels?” The kind that hasn’t met Dean Winchester.
I’ve already said it probably a million times, but I just don’t care about episodes like this. I get that Dean likes regular, run-of-the-mill spirit hunts and that he uses them to forget about what’s actually happening, but I just don’t care. I’m more preoccupied by the imminent Apocalypse and the fact that there’s a war going on between Heaven and Hell. So forgive the incredibly short review... I just don’t really have any comments.
I will say that my declaration of love for Dean Winchester still stands despite his admittance that he enjoyed torturing souls. Dean is human, as human as they come, and any person who endured thirty years on the rack would relish in a little give-back. It’s vengeful and it’s wrong, but it’s so very, very human. Dean represents a lot of what’s wrong with people (all of his vices, his stunted emotions, his anger) but he also represents what’s good about people as well: loyalty, vivacity, and big, big love. That’s why I forgive Dean, because I know he means it, because I know he’s felt enough remorse to rip him apart. Dean loves in such a big way and it’s really beautiful to see.
Okay, enough for now. I could actually write a thesis on Dean Winchester.
No comments:
Post a Comment