Season three finale... I don’t even know what to do. In my fourth review of this season (Sin City) I commented that season three wasn’t my favorite. It’s not (I prefer four through six) but I still found myself really enjoying episodes in this season. There were a lot of gimmicks (Bedtime Stories, Mystery Spot, Ghostfacers) as well as some of the most emotional episodes we’ve seen so far (Dream A Little Dream and Jus in Bello) so, considering this season occurred during the writer’s strike, I’m actually fairly impressed that they managed to keep the storyline going. A lot of my shows had terrible seasons during the writer’s strike that completely fucked up their story arch, but SPN keeps it really consistent. Bravo Kripke, Gamble, Edlund, Carver, and co. I love you very much.
When Carry On My Wayward Son started playing, I was torn between intense air drumming and sad fangirl flailing. The result was not pretty. My roommate is currently staring at me in concern. I’m fine, really. Just dying of sadness. NBD.
It is so much worse watching this episode a second time. Sam is so convinced that he’s going to save Dean, that he’s going to keep his big brother from never seeing Hell. He’s so sure that they will find someone to make sure Dean never sees that place of torment that they’ve only heard about. But it’s not going to work. Dean’s going to go to Hell, and he’s never going to be the same once he gets out.
The Winchester Stubbornness is really standing in everybody’s way right now. Dean refuses to trust Ruby, and trusting Ruby is the only way to save Dean. Is it ironic that she’s going to try to save Dean now purely to gain Sam’s trust to then exploit it at the end of Season 5? She’s so manipulative. It’s like she’s on their side even though she’s not. She’s such a confusing character. I have such a love/hate relationship with her.
Oh God, Ruby, STOP. Darkside!Sam is on his way and it’s all her fault! Make the pain go away! STOP IT STOP IT STOP IT YOU STUPID BITCH.
The terrible thing is, she’s not even lying right now. I mean, she’s lying about her motives, but she’s not lying about wanting Lillith dead. She does want Lillith dead, if only for her own selfish demon reasons. Ooh, demons are sneaky.
Dean is such a badass. I’m a little mad at him right now because he is being such an obstinate bitch, but he is funny. And he pilfered that knife like a pro. Well, he is a pro. So it makes sense. My Dean-can-do-no-wrong goggles are back on.
Sam: What are you afraid is gonna happen? This is me, I can handle it. If it’ll save you-
Dean: Why even risk it?
Sam: Because you’re my brother. Because you did the same thing for me.
Dean: I know. And look how that turned out. All I’m saying-- Sammy, all I’m saying is that you’re my weak spot. You are. And I’m yours.
Sam: You don’t mean that. We’re- we’re family.
Dean: I know. And those evil sons-of-bitches know it, too. I mean, what we’ll do for each other, how far we’ll go? They’re using it against us.
Sam: So, what, we just stop looking out for each other?
Dean: No, we stop being martyrs! Man, we stop spreading it for these demons. We take this knife and we go after Lillith our way, the way Dad taught us to. And if we go down, then... we go down swinging. What do you think?
Sam: I think you totally should have been jamming ‘Eye of the Tiger’ right there.
Dean: Oh, bite me. You know, I totally rehearsed that speech, too.
This piece of dialogue is one of the quintessential scenes between Sam and Dean. It’s honest, it’s funny, it’s sweet but not too sweet. It completely captures both of their characters and the unshakable dynamic between them. It’s really, really beautiful.
“Family, don’t end with blood, boy.” THANK YOU, BOBBY. This is why Team Free Will exists. If it was up to Sam and Dean, they would cut everybody else out of their lives and insist on doing things by themselves out of some misguided attempt to protect everyone or some shit like that. Bobby is the one who slaps them in the face and says, “Hey, idjits, I’m here and I love you and you don’t have to do this alone.” Bobby is the glue that binds.
There is nothing sweeter than seeing Sam and Dean singing along to Bon Jovi together in the car. Literally makes me want to weep hysterically. Winchester Brotherly Affection! It’s a thing. I’m creating it. #WBA
The fact that Sam actually stands up to Ruby here makes me really sad. He’s standing up to Ruby because his big brother is doing it, and we all know that’s exactly what Sam wants: to be just like Dean. But when Dean is gone for four months, Sam forgets about what his big brother would have said and lets himself fall under Ruby’s influence. It’s like I said before: Sam doesn’t know how to take care of himself and so when Dean is gone, he’s susceptible to Ruby and this is what leads to the DemonBloodAddict!Sam.
Sam: I’m not gonna let you go to Hell, Dean!
Dean: Yes, you are! Yes, you are. I’m sorry. I mean, this is all my fault. I know that. But what you’re doing-- it isn’t gonna save me. It’s only gonna kill you.
Sam: Then, what am I supposed to do?
Dean: Keep fighting. Take care of my wheels. Sam, remember what Dad taught you, okay? And remember what I taught you.
EVERYTHING HURTS. DEAN YOU CAN’T GO TO HELL YOU JUST CAN’T. YOU CAN’T LEAVE SAMMY ALONE TO BE CORRUPTED BY RUBY AND YOU CAN’T GO TO THAT TERRIBLE PLACE AND BECOME A MONSTER YOU JUST CAN’T. I LOVE YOU TOO MUCH.
What up, bitch. You can’t defeat Sam.
BUT DEAN IS DEAD AND SAM HAD TO WATCH AND NOTHING IS OKAY BECAUSE DEAN’S TIME IN HELL WILL DESTROY THEM BOTH I CAN’T WATCH IT JUST HURTS TOO MUCH.
Probably the most horrific season finale. I mean, next season is pretty crazy, Swan Song is such a heartbreaker, and our most recent finale is still doing crazy shit to my emotions, but this finale is violent and scary and THERE IS HELLFIRE. I didn't notice it the first time, but there is literally a HOOK in Dean's shoulder. Hell is awful. I mean, obviously, but... shit.
UPSIDE: Season four is up next and YOU KNOW WHAT THAT MEANS! OUR FAVORITE NERD ANGEL IS ON HIS WAY!
No comments:
Post a Comment