Total Pageviews

Friday, June 10, 2011

Liz Watches: Supernatural Season 2, Episode 13: Houses of the Holy (SPOILER BLOG)

I love this episode. It’s pretty obvious why: I have a thing for religion. Even more, I have a thing for Sam and Dean talking about religion. They’re both so extreme in their beliefs, which makes sense for Dean because he’s such a black-and-white kind of guy. Evil thing? Gank it. Sammy’s in trouble? Save him. Does God exist? No. It’s all part of the Dean Winchester charm.

We’ve seen the boys deal with faith before, but this is the first time they talk about angels. It’s just so... prophetic, and terrifying, and almost exhilarating how Dean is so, so sure angels don’t exist. Guess what, Dean? An angel is going to save you from hell (and then you’re going to fall in love with him whoops who said that). This quote made me all fluttery inside.

Dean: Odd, yes. Supernatural, maybe. But angels... I don’t think so.
Sam: Why not?
Dean: ‘Cause there’s no such thing, Sam.

YOU JUST WAIT DEAN. YOU JUST WAIT.

I think the idea of looking for “a sign” is very complex. It makes me think of when Castiel asks for a sign in season six. Who’s to say that Dean asking for his trust wasn’t that sign? Who says “signs” have to be glowing balls of light? Maybe signs from God are more simple, and the people who ask God for a burning bush are just setting themselves up for a letdown in faith.

OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD. THEY’RE TALKING ABOUT MICHAEL. THEY’RE TALKING ABOUT MICHAEL’S FLAMING SWORD. DEAN IS MICHAEL’S FLAMING SWORD AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. FORESHADOWING FORESHADOWING
FORESHADOWING FORESHADOWING FORESHADOWING FORESHADOWING. Also... Michael’s sword = flaming. Michael’s sword = Dean. Therefore, mathematically, Dean = flaming. Slam. What.

“I like to think of them as more loving than wrathful.” Father Reynolds, meet Castiel, Gabriel, Balthazar, Uriel, Zachariah, Raphael and Anna. They’re neither loving nor wrathful. They’re just a bunch of weirdos. Angels are freaks.

This is one of my favorite Dean speeches. It’s just so sad:

“You know what? I get it. You’ve got faith. That’s, hey, good for you. I’m sure it makes things easier. I’ll tell you who else had faith like that: Mom. She used to tell me when she tucked me in that angels were watching over us. In fact, that was the last thing she ever said to me... What’s to tell? She was wrong. There was nothing protecting her. There’s no higher power. There’s no God. There’s just chaos and violence and random unpredictable evil that comes out of nowhere and rips you to shreds. So you want me to believe in this stuff? I’m gonna need to see some hard proof. You got any?”

Oh, don’t worry, Dean. You’ll get proof in a little over a year when you get ripped from Hell by a pretty angel named Castiel.

Dean’s “heavenly encounter” was a really interesting moment. It sort of makes you wonder why Dean and Sam are even hunting. Will God deal out retribution to all people who sin eventually? Or did he make a special exception because the guy was going to get away? Personally, I don’t like to think that God killed that boy. He was young; he could have atoned for his sins and changed into a righteous man. Dean does far worse to souls on the rack in Hell, but he makes up for it because he has a good heart and feels honest remorse. I don’t believe that God deals out punishments on Earth. My belief is that God’s judgment is for when you die and he decides to send you to Heaven or Hell. Otherwise there’s too much tricky stuff with free will and interference and why-do-bad-things-happen-to-good-people-blah-blah-blah.

Sam’s confession made my eyes well up. He’s just so scared right now. I’m terrified of what’s to come for him. I hate Dark!Sam. I like this Sammy.

Favorite moment:

Dean: Did you bring quarters?
Sam: Dude, I’m not enabling your sick habit. You’re like one of those lab rats that pushes the pleasure button instead of the food button until it dies.

AHAHAHA. A moment of hilarity in this episode of DESPAIR.

No comments:

Post a Comment