Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Liz Watches: Supernatural Season 2, Episode 20: What Is And What Should Never Be (SPOILER BLOG)

This episode is pure heartbreak. Beginning to end. Heartbreaking and full of “Wizard of Oz” references.

I hate that Sam and Dean aren’t friends. Because obviously they’ll always be brothers. They’re still brothers in this episode. But they’re not... friends. There’s no camaraderie, no loyalty. It’s funny because I would never call what Sam and Dean have a “friendship”, but that’s what it is. It’s what takes their simple relation and turns it into them being utterly inseparable.

“I am not drunk! Quit screwing around!” Dean, I love you.

Dean is totally into small brunettes. Carmen looks exactly like Lisa (and exactly how Castiel would look if he was a woman just saying just saying).

Dean’s need to mow the lawn is so adorable. He literally saves the world on a daily basis and all the dude wants to do is mow a lawn and have a beer on the porch. Someone come to my house and glue my heart back together, please.

I hate the scene where Sam and Dean have their “talk”. I hate it. I probably hate it the most out of every Supernatural episode ever. This isn’t the worst fight they’ve ever had. Sam does much, much worse and so does Dean. I think the reason I hate this scene so much is that this Sam isn’t OUR Sam. Even when Sam is drinking demon blood and saying yes to Lucifer and missing his soul, he’s still SAM, with the same thoughts and memories. This Sam... I can’t recognize him. I don’t see any of my Sam there. And not only that, he’s talking about a Dean that we don’t know. A Dean that does shitty things. Nothing extreme like making a deal with a crossroads demon, but normal, human shitty things, like hooking up with your brother’s prom date or skipping his graduation. This whole universe is filled with people who look like someone we know, but they’re actually someone completely different. It’s scary.

Oh, God. This speech. The speech Dean gives to John’s grave. It is one of the quintessential moments in Supernatural:

“It’s like my old life is coming after me or something, you know, like it doesn’t want me to be happy. Course, I know what you’d say... you’d say, ‘Go hunt the djiin! It put you here, it can put you back! Your happiness for all those people’s lives, no contest.’ Right? But why? Why is it my job to save these people? Why do I have to be some kind of hero? What about us, huh? What, Mom’s not supposed to live her life? Sammy’s not supposed to get married? Why do we have to sacrifice everything, Dad?”

What AU!Sam says about he and Dean not having anything in common is interesting, because it’s still true in SPN-verse. They don’t have anything in common, but it doesn’t matter, because they’re family. And that’s ultimately what wins out in this episode as well. You don’t have to have things in common to love each other. You just have to love each other, because you’re family, and that’s what family does. I’m glad AU!Sam finally realized it.

“People are alive because of you. It’s worth it, Dean. It is. It’s not fair and it hurts like hell, but it’s worth it.”

P.S. That djinn is fucking terrifying. He makes me want to never leave my house again.

No comments:

Post a Comment