Total Pageviews

Monday, June 20, 2011

Liz Watches: Supernatural Season 4, Episode 1: Lazarus Rising (SPOILER BLOG)

Again with the biblical references in the titles... I love them. This refers to Lazarus of Bethany, who was raised from the dead by Jesus. YOU GUYS DON’T UNDERSTAND. I LOVE THIS SHIT.

I’m just going to preface this by saying that this episode is one of my absolute favorites of the entire series, and it is purely because of Castiel. I’m not even going to pretend it’s for any reason. And he’s only in the last five minutes of this episode! I just love him so much. The only character I love more is Dean, and that’s only by a little, little bit. Seriously. Castiel. Castiel. Castiel.

I was really disappointed at first that the show attempted to show us what Hell was like. There’s a lot of fear in what is unknown, and in horror movies/TV, the best villains are the ones who stay hidden in the shadows, just out of sight. I feel similarly about Hell, and while I didn’t like the whole “oh, look, Dean is totally hooked on barbed wire and there’s lightning everywhere” thing in the Season 3 finale, I absolutely adore the beginnings of this episode with the flashes of Dean’s eyes and the horrible screaming. The minimalism really freaked me out. Well done, SPN.

All right, here I will make my one and only apology for all the Destiel that is coming your way. I ship Dean and Castiel. I do. Like you would not believe. I fucking love them. I believe in them. They are my OTP. So things are about to get real shippy up in here, no joke. So just get ready.

Hey, Dean’s body. I like you very much. And HELLO, Castiel’s handprint. I like you, too.

CASTIEL STOP IT. YOU ARE GOING TO HURT SOMEONE.

I cannot even imagine what this is like for Bobby and Sam. I mean, they buried Dean. This isn’t like when Sam was dead and he just lay on a bed for a couple of hours. Dean has been dead for months. They’ve learned how to live their lives without him. For him to show up on their doorstep... it’s almost terrible. But wonderful at the same time.

I’m pretty sure the last four months are basically what happened at the end of “Mystery Spot”. Sam becomes sort of a hunting robot, bent on killing all evil in his path and resurrecting Dean. He’s not quite as bad as Soulless!Sam, because his intentions are good, but he’s a far cry from the Sam we know. And at this point, of course, Sam has become DemonBloodAddict!Sam. Oh my.

“It’s like a demon yanked me out. Or rode me out.”

Oh, something rode you out of Hell, all right, Dean. (I’M SORRY. MY BRAIN JUST THINKS THESE THINGS SOMETIMES)

Wedge, Antilles. Star Wars reference. So amazing.

RUBY. NOW THAT YOU’RE IN THIS VESSEL I CAN HATE YOU VEHEMENTLY. So let the hate commence (with one small tiny shout out of love to Genevieve, of course! You are adorable, Gen! Please be married to Jared forever and have lots of babies, okay thanks). BUT I HATE YOU RUBY. I HATE YOU I HATE YOU.

Dean looks SO SAD when Sam tries to stab him. I mean, obviously but... still. AUGH. I just have so many feelings. Also, this hug might be a tie with the one in Mystery Spot. #WBA

“So, are you two like... together?” I don’t get this line. This is Ruby. She knows who Dean is. Did she and Sam have a conversation like, “Oh, by the way, Demon Girlfriend, if my dead brother should show up, please pretend you have no idea who he is so he doesn’t get suspicious. Thanks.” Like, I don’t understand.

I feel like the first time I watched SPN, I rushed through so I could get to the end. There are a lot of things I don’t remember, and I missed a lot of the development because I was moving through so quickly. I really want to focus on their characters during this rewatch, and I’m especially interested in watching Sam. I don’t know if he feels any resentment towards Castiel for being the one to save Dean when that’s usually his job, but I’m going to be on the lookout for it, because I think it would make sense.

I love/hate that the Winchester Way of Life is to assume everything is evil somehow. They’re going on and on about how Dean being saved must somehow be demonic, and all the while, it’s AN ANGEL. Like, who saw this coming? Nobody.

SAM WAS WEARING THE SAMULET AND DRIVING THE IMPALA AUGH HE JUST WANTS TO BE LIKE HIS BIG BROTHER EVERYTHING IS SAD.

Dean is a scarily good liar. He remembers everything from Hell and he can’t talk about it with Sam yet. EVERYTHING. HURTS.

Dean: What the hell is that?

Sam: It’s an iPod jack.
Dean: You were supposed to take care of her, not douche her up.

Shipping Dean/Impala forever, friends. Sam, how you could ever think this was your car? Even when John was driving her, she was ALWAYS Dean’s. And she always will be.

SAM STOP LYING. PLEASE. STOP. YOU ARE USING YOUR DEMONIC POWERS SO STOP PRETENDING YOU HAD DEAN’S BEST INTERESTS AT HEART.

Pam is the best. Another fierce woman that Supernatural decided to kill. This is why I hate you, Kripke. In a nutshell.

Is it bad that I get pissed whenever someone else touches the Castiel-print? GET YOUR HANDS OFF IT, BITCHES. That is for Castiel and Castiel only.

I remember the first time I heard Pam say, “Castiel?” I already knew that Castiel was an important character on the show, but I had no idea what he was or when he would appear, so hearing his name literally made me shiver. This time around, I flailed. Like the fangirl I am. SO EXCITED.

Pam: Castiel? No. Sorry, Castiel, I don’t scare easy.
Dean: Castiel?
Pam: Its name. It’s whispering to me, warning me to turn back.

ALL THE FEELINGS. THE FIRST MOMENT DEAN HEARS CASTIEL’S NAME.

Holy Mother in Heaven, Castiel may be a lowly foot soldier but his true form is damn powerful. He burned out Pam’s eyes and he is literally showering Dean in glass and broken mirrors. Very, very bad.

SAM. STOP. STOP. STOP. I literally cannot handle watching Sammy go darkside again. It was hard enough the first time and I was barely paying attention. It’s going to be so much worse now that I know what’s happening.

Sam: It was here. You saw it.
Demon: I saw it.
Sam: What was it?
Demon: It’s the end. We’re dead. We’re all dead.

Ooh, nice. Twisty. Demons are dead when angels come to call.

SAM. STOP THIS MADNESS. DON’T DO THIS AHHHHHHHHHH.

Ugh, Ruby, stop being so damn nice. You’re making your betrayal that much harder. Like I said before (a million fucking times) I do not like demons who pretend to be something they’re not. Azazel sucks, Lillith sucks, Alastair sucks, but Ruby sucks the most of all because she pretends to be on the good side. I will never, ever forgive her.

CASTIEL IS HERE OH MY GOD I AM SO HAPPY. I literally just flailed madly in my bed.

(Okay, here it comes:) Sparks flew when Dean and Castiel met for the first time. JUST. SAYING.

Okay, here is my big Destiel comment. I don’t know what everybody else thinks, and I’m sure it differs across the fandom, but for me, Castiel is already in love with Dean when he meets him in the barn. I mean, he ripped Dean out of Hell and put him back together. He knows Dean’s body, his soul, his mind, his heart, everything. Dean is the Righteous Man. Castiel is the angel who saved him. It seems almost ridiculous to suggest that he isn’t completely in love with Dean. I do think that, as an angel, this love is very emotional and not completely physical yet (though I believe this changes and I WILL COMMENT WHEN IT DOES) but all you have to do is look at Castiel the moment he looks at Dean and... I don’t know. I see it there.

Oh my god, I don’t even care about this scary music. Castiel loves Dean. I just see it in his eyes. SO. DAMN. PRETTY.

Dean: Who are you?
Castiel: Castiel.
Dean: Yeah, I figured that much. I mean: what are you?
Castiel: I’m an angel of the Lord.
Dean: Get the hell out of here. There’s no such thing.
Castiel: This is your problem, Dean. You have no faith.

THIS GODDAMN MOMENT. IT IS PERFECT. SO MUCH EYE FUCKING. Also, THE SHADOW WINGS. I LOVE THEM.

“Good things do happen, Dean... What’s the matter? You don’t think you deserve to be saved?” THIS FUCKING LINE.

I can’t even handle this episode. It is so, so amazing. Everything about it. I’m just so happy Castiel is here. He makes everything better (at least for now... he’s the reason I can’t ever be happy again after Season 6, but we’ll get to that). For right now, I am just feeling pure, unadulterated joy that my favorite angel is finally here to stand awkwardly close to Dean and stare deeply into his eyes. Everything is good.

DEAN AND CASTIEL FOREVER.

No comments:

Post a Comment