Total Pageviews

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Liz Watches: Supernatural Season 2, Episode 10: Hunted (SPOILER BLOG)

In my opinion, Dean’s opening speech in this episode is one of the most memorable moments of the entire series. There’s something about the way he says, “He said I might have to kill you, Sammy” that gets lodged in my brain and repeats over and over again. I can’t explain it. But it breaks my heart.

The fight between Sam and Dean that opens this episode is also terrifying because I feel like it signals the return of Sam the Angry and Vengeful. Sam has been remarkably mature in the season so far; he’s the one who’s had to support Dean and guide him through his breakdowns. But with this news about John’s last sentiments, Sam has reverted back to his old ways. It’s difficult to find fault with him for this... I mean, how would you feel if you found out that the last thing your dad ever asked for was your death by the hand of your older brother? That’s pretty fucked up. Sam definitely has a right to be pissed off. That doesn’t mean it’s not scary to see him like this. I just keep thinking about the terrifying monster Sam becomes, so every time he gets angry I feel the need to throw my arms up over my face and scream.

And we meet Ava. UGH. Ava. I just cannot even look at her right now. I know we’re supposed to like her and feel bad for her and worry about her right now, but I can’t. It’s basically her fault that Sam dies, which leads to Dean sacrificing himself and going to hell and breaking the first seal, so BASICALLY EVERYTHING IS AVA’S FAULT AND SHE STARTED THE DAMN APOCALYPSE. That’s maybe a little harsh. It’s not totally her fault that Sam died. But she’s not innocent. And she was so normal in the beginning! I guess knowing that your fiance has been violently murdered because you’re a soldier in some kind of messed up demon war can make you do some shitty things. Blech. Now I’m feeling kind of sorry for her. NO. I HATE YOU AVA.

Ellen regains her sanity in this episode, which is just lovely. Now I don’t have to be mad at you, Ellen! This pleases me. Whatever John may have done in the past, it’s not Sam and Dean’s fault and they should not be held responsible for their father’s mistakes. Even if what happened with Ellen’s husband was a total accident. Do we ever know what actually happens? I forget. The main plot is so complicated most of the time that I occasionally forget subplots.

AND... Gordon. Fucking Gordon and his fucking face and his fucking giant guns and GET. OUT. YOU. MOTHERFUCKER. (I just realized that this blog is getting very angry. So many irritating characters in this episode.) Anyway, Gordon is back and, of course, fucking shit up as usual. I was mostly annoyed by the fact that Gordon is weirdly right in his speech to Dean. Sam will become a monster, and if it were anybody else, Dean would have no problem wasting him. Gordon is a little too arrogant in his dedication to dealing out judgment to whoever he sees fit, but he’s just doing what he believes is right. He thinks that he can prevent death by killing Sam, and that’s not wrong.

I guess what it comes down to is whether or not you believe in fate. If you do, then it would appear that Sam’s fate to become Azazel’s soldier and Lucifer’s vessel and then, yeah, it’s probably a good idea to waste him before things get out of hand and he kills someone. But this is Team Free Will we’re talking about here, and fate and destiny are obviously more fluid than set in stone. Different events and choices lead to different outcomes, and its naive of Gordon to think that Sam can’t choose a different path. He’s seen a vampire refuse human blood while it was dripping on her face; surely he can see that Sam, who has saved hundreds of lives, can change his own destiny.

This blog went much deeper than I intended. My brain sort of ran away with me. To end on a lighter note: I love the Winchester Rules of Life! In “The Usual Suspects” we saw the agreement about motel choice and fake name, and in this episode, we get to see their code word for if one of them is being held hostage. Again, I love that we never see a scene where Dean and Sam are deciding these things. They’re just the rules. And Dean would pick “funkytown”. He’s such a geek. I love it.

Final thought: The first bitch/jerk moment! I’ve been waiting so long for it! It was so magical and perfect. Brotherly love forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment